Future LR Models in US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I am done with the "New" Land Rover. Ford saw the future and sold Land Rover, I get it now. Maybe they can have another spice girl design the new LR.

I don't know...I think Ford was on the right rack with the improvements they were making and the new Tata owners are just headed the wrong way with things.

Didn't Ford unload it at a time with the U.S. car industry was particularly struggling? I think they needed to trim their line-up and unloading LR was a good place to do it (unfortunately for us)

I agree, though. Not a fan of a lot of the changes. They are removing service, adding more costly luxury options, and neglecting the core utility market that wants to take these off road. They can make a comfortable off-road vehicle without going over the top. Leave that for the Range Rover and RRS.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes Ford wisely unloaded it in 08 and did not take a bail out like the rest of the motor companies did, I absolutely commend them for that. Ford turned around Land Rover and made vast improvements. Then Tata comes along and markets the Evoque with a Spice girl. Of all my acquaintances who have Land Rovers, not one has ever even gave a rip about a Spice Girl let alone there music, most of us grew up watching Marlin Perkins chase animals around Africa driving there Land Rovers like mad men. It looks like the Sport is replacing the Freelander, yet they should not have called it a Discovery at all. We will see where it goes from here. I might pick up an old Land Rover and keep my LR3 then transition to a new Jeep or Toyota in the future. I don't need a bunch of useless electronic driver distracting gadgets in my vehicle.

preca

Reaction score
New Discovery platform 2015

While I can't take everything the web shares as accurate I recall reading the LR2 will be replaced by the new Discovery concept we all dislike. Time will tell or I'm afraid the focus group tester who started this thread will tell me this hope is not true which would have left the LR4 alive.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Then Tata comes along and markets the Evoque with a Spice girl. Of all my acquaintances who have Land Rovers, not one has ever even gave a rip about a Spice Girl let alone there music, most of us grew up watching Marlin Perkins chase animals around Africa driving there Land Rovers like mad men. ....
Ahhh, do you know why? If you look at any of the celebrity photos snapped by the paparazzi (you're not missing anything) the Paris Hilton celebutantes of the world are always stepping out of a Range Rover. That's what they drive. SO, to that wannabe crowd, the Spice girl is the perfect match for a vehicle a little more attainable than a Range Rover.

That's my theory, anyway, on who they are marketing toward.

I agree, though. Tata seems to be trying to insert a Range Rover-like offering into every vehicle class and are completely ignoring the offroad enthusiasts! I know they still design the drive-trains and such for offroad use, but there is soooooo much bullsh*t and cost on top of it. Is it that way in the UK or do they have modest LR models for sale?

Triumph

Reaction score
While I can't take everything the web shares as accurate I recall reading the LR2 will be replaced by the new Discovery concept we all dislike. Time will tell or I'm afraid the focus group tester who started this thread will tell me this hope is not true which would have left the LR4 alive.

The model we saw was bigger than the newly announced Discovery Sport on the landroverusa.com site, it was definitely more in line with the Discovery Vision concept. The newly announced Discovery Sport definitely looks to be an LR2 replacement.

Based on what we saw I think they are trying to have a third sub-brand in the US.

Range Rover - Top end luxury and performance (price to match): Small (Evoque), Medium (Range Rover Sport), Large (Range Rover)
Land Rover Discovery - Modest luxury and features and competitive on-road performance: Small (Discovery Sport), Large (Discovery)
Land Rover Defender - Modest luxury and features and top end off-road prowess: Small (Defender 2-door), Medium (Defender 4-door/5 seater), Large (Defender 4-door/8 seater)

I think the new Defenders will actually be closest to what we have come to love about our LR3s and LR4s.

Last edited:

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do hate California environmental law. V6 turbo cuz they cant stick more catalytic converters to offset the "pollution". I do hope for a diesel model on the 2015 LR4? LR5? If they won't give us V8 please GOD a diesel.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will be a lot of Ford design ques in the upcoming models for sure. With so much advance planning in the industry, there were plenty of concepts on the table when Ford sold to Tata. I believe Ford is still getting royalties for the headlight designs (and probably other elements) on the new Range Rover as they were a Ford derivative (note styling on F series and Explorer). I can't believe Tata is going to rely on itself for making the evolutionary changes either is (only my assumption) probably relying on Ford or other outside design houses for these new models.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do hate California environmental law. V6 turbo cuz they cant stick more catalytic converters to offset the "pollution". I do hope for a diesel model on the 2015 LR4? LR5? If they won't give us V8 please GOD a diesel.

I don't have issues with a turbo 6. There is a ton of potential out there with other vehicles pushing 400-500hp with that. You also get the added torque benefits of a forced induction engine. The best thing about boosted engines is that you can actually get decent highway mileage when you are not into positive boost (cruising). If done correctly, they could put some grunt back into the Discovery.

FYI, I have owned a Toyota Supra pushing 500hp dyno tested at the rear tires on an inline 3.0 liter 6 cyclinder engine. There are other 3L i6 engines out there pushing FAR more than that.

Keep in mind, A LOT of manufacturers are going turbo now for those benefits I mentioned. (BMW turbo 6 in the 2, 3, 4, and 5 series; BMW twin turbo V8 in the 5, 6 , and 7 series as well as their SUVs). I will give LR the benefit of the doubt until we can see these numbers.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Really don't want a diesel. Never bought one when I lived in Europe.
The reason to have a Diesel engine is because you are in a country that has a poor economy or where cars and trucks are taxed based on their engine...
There's no real upside to a diesel besides for trucking companies.
I'd be totally happy with a supercharged or turbocharged V6 engine using gazoline not diesel. We'd be getting low end torque and good mpg.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV