Future LR Models in US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever driven the X5 Diesel? That's a similar sized vehicle. Curious to hear how it handles.

I have driven the VW TDIs and they drive nice. You don't feel like you are driving a commercial truck engine and the acceleration off the line is great.

I became very interested in the diesel options available for large SUVs when I took a job requiring a long commute. While I want to be in the larger vehicle vs. an econobox, my commute is 400 miles a week in traffic (on top of personal driving). No, I haven't done the math on the cost difference of a diesel engine and diesel fuel vs. the increased MPG...but man, these $80 fill-ups every three days are depressing.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Europe gets a 3 turbo monster diesel for their X5! The torque could bump start a jumbo jet!

Diesel tech has really taken off. There are so many benefits now, it's foolish to dismiss them entirely. Regular gasoline Defender / Discovery vehicles are extremely rare overseas. Nearly every one of them are diesel. (admittedly some for the $ savings)

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it really is about range for those of us who do overland, and the torque for off-roading. The days of the tractor diesel where gone quite some time ago. My last long trip was from Las Vegas to Hyder Alaska, we did a 5500 mile loop, fill-ups became an issue near Hyder and Northern British Columbia. I had to tap into the 10 gallons I carried with me to get to a Station that was open. If it was an option I would definitely pull the trigger on a new one.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the tank: I got mine used but new they are $1600 plus shipping and installation. However, last I heard they are not being shipped in anymore by ARB who brought mine in. The brand is Long Ranger out of Australia so you could try contacting them first.

It would easily be in the $2500 range for paying a shop to do the whole job with a new one.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did state that it is my personal preference and that I am partial to it!

Based on your signature(s), I assume that you drive LR3s rather than LR4s for a specific reason... Maybe financial... No judgement there I like both platforms.

Most expedition vehicles usually carry extra fuel, even diesel versions (check the Australian forum and/or expeditions through Africa or South America).

I have lived ALL OVER THE WORLD and THE USA (unlike the majority of you guys - no disrespect) and even very remote places have access to gas, having to carry a couple of jerrycans filled with gazoline adds to the notion of adventure, and if you look at pictures of diesel powered Toyota or other brands vehicles in Africa, Australia or South America you'll notice... That they carry extra fuel (jerrycans or additional tank)!!!

By the way, if you can afford it, there is an American made vehicle which is very similar to the Land Rover LR3/4 (air suspension, luxurious interior, etc, even offer a V8 and guess what a Diesel engine option.... No way? Yes, really!).
It is called the Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. You can get a JGC Limited 4x4 EcoDiesel starting at $42,990.

Again this is a forum and I am stating my preference (based on experience and tastes) and I do not need to agree with all of you guys. Except on one thing, the. LR4 and others could use a larger capacity fuel tank.

Your sincerely narrow minded Axel ;)

PS: I worked for 5 years in Germany for Mercedes-Benz AG, pioneer of the Diesel engine as you are probably aware of and I know the ins and outs of that type of power plant. I just prefer gazoline engines.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finlayforprez your 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO tires, any issues, do they rub and can you fit one underneath in the spare spot? I have 265/60 R18s...wanted to go a bit bigger this time around without going to big to get one underneath.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can fit a bigger tire underneath at least no with air. Terrafirma sell a bad ass spare wheel carrier

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to fully deflate my 265/65R18 DuraTrac to fit it underneath.
It's hanging kinda low and it's gonna get out of there and get strapped into the trunk when I go offroad.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finlayforprez your 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO tires, any issues, do they rub and can you fit one underneath in the spare spot? I have 265/60 R18s...wanted to go a bit bigger this time around without going to big to get one underneath.

I have the same wheel/tire set up. Rubbing is very slight and will go away with time. I have a stock suspension and use access mode daily without any problems. As for the spare tire, you can fit it under the truck after removing heat shield and deflating the spare to about 8 PSI. It does not stick out more than a full size spare wheel. ( maybe just a little more)
For off road trips my spare goes into the cargo area. I do not feel like getting a spare wheel from under the truck when on a trail.
Few pictures how my spare looks like when under the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20131024_120651.jpg
    IMG_20131024_120651.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20131024_120322.jpg
    IMG_20131024_120322.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20131024_120429.jpg
    IMG_20131024_120429.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 32

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did state that it is my personal preference and that I am partial to it!

Based on your signature(s), I assume that you drive LR3s rather than LR4s for a specific reason... Maybe financial... No judgement there I like both platforms.

Most expedition vehicles usually carry extra fuel, even diesel versions (check the Australian forum and/or expeditions through Africa or South America).

I have lived ALL OVER THE WORLD and THE USA (unlike the majority of you guys - no disrespect) and even very remote places have access to gas, having to carry a couple of jerrycans filled with gazoline adds to the notion of adventure, and if you look at pictures of diesel powered Toyota or other brands vehicles in Africa, Australia or South America you'll notice... That they carry extra fuel (jerrycans or additional tank)!!!

By the way, if you can afford it, there is an American made vehicle which is very similar to the Land Rover LR3/4 (air suspension, luxurious interior, etc, even offer a V8 and guess what a Diesel engine option.... No way? Yes, really!).
It is called the Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. You can get a JGC Limited 4x4 EcoDiesel starting at $42,990.

Again this is a forum and I am stating my preference (based on experience and tastes) and I do not need to agree with all of you guys. Except on one thing, the. LR4 and others could use a larger capacity fuel tank.

Your sincerely narrow minded Axel ;)

PS: I worked for 5 years in Germany for Mercedes-Benz AG, pioneer of the Diesel engine as you are probably aware of and I know the ins and outs of that type of power plant. I just prefer gazoline engines.

The Jeep is no where near a comparable vehicle for my needs nor in general in it's capabilities in suspension or dimensionally.

You refer to money a lot. I do not know why considering I stated I'd be driving a new G if they brought us a diesel.

You want to chat about why I drive the LR3 as opposed to an LR4? The LR4 provides almost zero additional features that I find useful or of any value. The engine is nice (I'd only buy a 2013 V8 at this point though, not the 2014 scv6). Otherwise I don't need the vision cameras or higher output engine enough to deal with the hassle of rebuilding an LR4 to same spec as my LR3.

The systems on mt LR3 are rather extensive, more than probably anyone on this forum. Regardless of any debate over what's important or not, these items are important for me and thus pose a huge project to redo onto another vehicle which would be almost identical otherwise. If an LR4 could be ordered with a v8 turbo-diesel, like Toyota puts in ROW Land Cruisers, and ventilated seats, THEN I would probably go ahead and start planning the move.

Such a project would require duplicating the following currently in my lr3 which I did buy it new so that I'd know all of it's history and maintain it as well as possible.

Build list:

-ARB front bumper
-winch
-2 driving lamps on bumper switched on dash
-Kaymar rear bumper + dual carriers for jerry can and spare tire (customized to move tire toward vehicle mid point and to mount 4 bicycle carrier on swing arm)

-Full aluminum underbody protection via RASTA aluminum + radiator guards (most people forget these)
-Slider/sill protection Rover Specialties 14" under to frame with nerf tubes (these have since been stripped, galvanized, then powdercoated)

-on board air via compressor under hood and supply tank under passenger sill with outlets/gauges under hood and inside left rear cargo hatch

-random lamp guards, ladder, snorkel, etc.

-towing brake controller

Electrical
-2nd battery, largest fitting Odyssey 2150 (205 minute reserve)
-starter battery, upgraded to Odyssey 1350 (195 minute reserve)
-2 110v outlets and inverter
-4 12v sockets powered by 2nd battery
-exterior supplemental lighting from roof level, 4 forward 2 per switch, 2 rear work lamps all switches mounted at front dome lamp
-interior lighting: all lamps rewired to run off 2nd battery
-all interior lamps swapped to Philips LED
-3rd row converted to sub-floor storage
-2nd row center converted to ARB freezer/fridge mount (still allows for 4 total seats/passengers)

Electronics
Britpart IIDTOOL
LLAMS suspension height controller (very cool, on the fly -/+,++)

Extras
Long Ranger supplemental fuel tank providing up to 53 gallons monitored/controlled at dash switch

-fully tinted 100% UV block including 3 roof sections

-Hannibal 2.5meter safari rack
-Hannibal side awning, rear awning and room walls

-ARB RTT + annex

-20 factory 18" wheels and tires

Upgraded via warranty:
new struts, new radiator, newest air suspension compressor, window regulators, new rear differential, rear wheel bearings)

So, overall, I like to buy my vehicles new when available so that I know how it's been taken care of. I bought a new SC Range Rover before because I wanted the power, locking rear differential, and nice ventilated seats on the long trips ;) but it just didn't have the space I ended up needing. At this point the V8 LR4 is not available new, nor is anything comparable. Additionally, dealing with recreating what I've done above would be so much to do it just doesn't make sense just yet. I'm in this one for at least $80k. My 2004 Discovery is built up less but it does have the basics: lift, dual battery powering various 12v, inverter, lights, and on board air.

That Jeep Cherokee is a joke in terms of my needs for the vehicle, not even close. It's really not better for off roading than a VW Touareg with air suspension and locking rear diff. I already tried one of those, bought one of the last V10 tdi in 2008, and found it to be a truly sweet car, really!, but it and the Cherokee are just high ground clearance "cars" with very little useful interior space.

BTW, I think you make a few too many assumptions about the people on this forum or in this country considering not having met them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut