2015 lr4 nas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepsride

Reaction score
400hp / tq would be quite a stretch on a v6 from a reliability (LR warranty) standpoint. We all know there are capable motors out there, but none from the factory. Hell, BMW had been using a V8 twin turbo to get those numbers, but were just recently bumped to 440hp / 480tq. I'd love THAT engine in my LR4!!

I just read an article on some power additions to the Jag. The HP goes up but so does the RPM where you get it. Also I agree I have seen some Grand Nationals blow up with an OVER blown V6. You can only do so much with a v6

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having never driven a v8, the scv6 has more pep than I'll need in my my14 lr4 (admittedly I don't tow).

Doesn't feel underpowered to me in comparison to other vehicles I've owned.

I think some who had a v8 will miss it regardless of how the lr4 performs with the v6.

If in a few years they shed weight on whatever_the_current_lr4_is I'll look to upgrade if it helps out nicely with mpg.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having never driven a v8, the scv6 has more pep than I'll need in my my14 lr4 (admittedly I don't tow).

Doesn't feel underpowered to me in comparison to other vehicles I've owned.

I think some who had a v8 will miss it regardless of how the lr4 performs with the v6.

If in a few years they shed weight on whatever_the_current_lr4_is I'll look to upgrade if it helps out nicely with mpg.

My biggest gripe is the simple fact that the move to the SCV6 seems for nothing. We have actually LOST hp and torque and the fuel savings / weight difference are completely negligible. Why bother??

I would have loved to see the 8 speed auto in my V8 though.

zgaspen

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2014 HSE Lux with heavy duty package this weekend (Havana, Arabica/Almond interior). The dealer received 6 LR4's this week with the next batch being 2015's sometime likely late October. Not caring for some of the additions and changes mentioned, and being able to deal now, the 2014 made sense. Very strong trade on my 2012 Lux with 40k miles.

I was given a 2014 Lux demo Thursday with 4 miles on the odometer while my 2012 was having small warranty items being repaired. I requested a 2014 to compare the V6-V8. At first, I didn't like it, but after two days seeing the differences with the new gearing, sport mode and also manual shift, I definitely prefer the V6. Living at 8,000 feet, the V8 is more than ample, but the SC V6 in sport mode is quicker off the line by quite a bit. Plenty of torque passing at 65+ (still not as great tho as my X5d with 425lbs of torque, but...).

I'm not quite sure what changes were made from 2012-13, but moving up to this 14, I am really impressed. The car seems more solid, improvements to the leather interior, liking the move to paddle shifting (I don't shift off road, so no worry about being on the wheel as opposed to steering column) and the smoothness and stability on road is fantastic. I also like the new front bumper/grill/fogs/HID's/LED's.

Still a few gripes:

- can't stand touch screen, missing out android compatibility (likely back to iPhone anyway)
- placement of heated wheel is poor now with paddle shifters
- improved shutting, yet lacking power tailgate
- no option for ventilated seats (minor gripe, but 65k rig should have)
- same odd design for rear doors collecting all sorts of mud/road grime, especially off road
- lost one cubby with new shifter dial

Still have the lux loaner for a few days. Anxious to pick mine up Tuesday morning once prepped. Wasn't psyched about the $1800 price, but really impressed with the Havana color just trading black.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind sharing, what did you get on your 2012 trade? I am in a similar situation and have been considering a similar move before the new discovery in 2016.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I was given a 2014 Lux demo Thursday with 4 miles on the odometer while my 2012 was having small warranty items being repaired. I requested a 2014 to compare the V6-V8. At first, I didn't like it, but after two days seeing the differences with the new gearing, sport mode and also manual shift, I definitely prefer the V6. Living at 8,000 feet, the V8 is more than ample, but the SC V6 in sport mode is quicker off the line by quite a bit. Plenty of torque passing at 65+ (still not as great tho as my X5d with 425lbs of torque, but...)...

I would definitely agree in your situation a forced induction engine at altitude would be desireable. There is also a big difference in gearing / availability of power bands with the 8 Speed. (Should have put the 8 Speed in the V8 too).

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a 2014 HSE Lux with heavy duty package this weekend (Havana, Arabica/Almond interior). The dealer received 6 LR4's this week with the next batch being 2015's sometime likely late October. Not caring for some of the additions and changes mentioned, and being able to deal now, the 2014 made sense. Very strong trade on my 2012 Lux with 40k miles.

I was given a 2014 Lux demo Thursday with 4 miles on the odometer while my 2012 was having small warranty items being repaired. I requested a 2014 to compare the V6-V8. At first, I didn't like it, but after two days seeing the differences with the new gearing, sport mode and also manual shift, I definitely prefer the V6. Living at 8,000 feet, the V8 is more than ample, but the SC V6 in sport mode is quicker off the line by quite a bit. Plenty of torque passing at 65+ (still not as great tho as my X5d with 425lbs of torque, but...).

I'm not quite sure what changes were made from 2012-13, but moving up to this 14, I am really impressed. The car seems more solid, improvements to the leather interior, liking the move to paddle shifting (I don't shift off road, so no worry about being on the wheel as opposed to steering column) and the smoothness and stability on road is fantastic. I also like the new front bumper/grill/fogs/HID's/LED's.

Still a few gripes:

- can't stand touch screen, missing out android compatibility (likely back to iPhone anyway)
- placement of heated wheel is poor now with paddle shifters
- improved shutting, yet lacking power tailgate
- no option for ventilated seats (minor gripe, but 65k rig should have)
- same odd design for rear doors collecting all sorts of mud/road grime, especially off road
- lost one cubby with new shifter dial

Still have the lux loaner for a few days. Anxious to pick mine up Tuesday morning once prepped. Wasn't psyched about the $1800 price, but really impressed with the Havana color just trading black.

Great for you! You were able to get an HD package off the lot? That is excellent. Looks like you are in Colorado - at least part of the time. I have been exploring mountain passes out of Ouray the past week and used 4L often to control speed up tricky sections and descents. I am sure I could have found a way to do what I needed without 4L but it was nice to be able to use it when I wanted.

We went through Aspen in early June. Came over Independence Pass and were going to return to Leadville over Hagerman Pass but we weren't sure it was open so we traveled to Eagle the back way.

Can't argue with your "wish" or "minor annoyance/disappointment" list. But it is what it is. I have had a similar type of list with every vehicle I have owned.

As for the V6, I find it more than adequate for my needs though I could never compare to the V8 which I have never owned. I have been getting 17.7 MPG (measured, 18.8 on the computer) for the last 1500 miles of mixed driving.

As for how it handles on the road, I love when I come out of the mountains and pull onto a smooth highway. The transition impresses me every time. Just the fact that this vehicle does such a great job in very different driving conditions.

zgaspen

Reaction score
If you don't mind sharing, what did you get on your 2012 trade? I am in a similar situation and have been considering a similar move before the new discovery in 2016.

Considerably more than I expected at 48k. Not bad for $60k (MSRP $61k) exactly 24 months ago. I took immaculate care of the thing, but of course a few scratches and the stock Conti's were going to be thrown out in a month or two when snows go on. Probably close to being due for brakes also (I'm a big fan of low gear and down shifting). The 2014 is far and above a better rig than the 2012. Had they offered me Blue Book "Good-Very Good" I may not have traded. $1800 off of $65k+ MSPR on new. Would be anxious to hear if you receive a strong trade quote as well...

zgaspen

Reaction score
Great for you! You were able to get an HD package off the lot? That is excellent. Looks like you are in Colorado - at least part of the time. I have been exploring mountain passes out of Ouray the past week and used 4L often to control speed up tricky sections and descents. I am sure I could have found a way to do what I needed without 4L but it was nice to be able to use it when I wanted.

We went through Aspen in early June. Came over Independence Pass and were going to return to Leadville over Hagerman Pass but we weren't sure it was open so we traveled to Eagle the back way.

Can't argue with your "wish" or "minor annoyance/disappointment" list. But it is what it is. I have had a similar type of list with every vehicle I have owned.

As for the V6, I find it more than adequate for my needs though I could never compare to the V8 which I have never owned. I have been getting 17.7 MPG (measured, 18.8 on the computer) for the last 1500 miles of mixed driving.

As for how it handles on the road, I love when I come out of the mountains and pull onto a smooth highway. The transition impresses me every time. Just the fact that this vehicle does such a great job in very different driving conditions.

Yes, HD pack. Of the 6 they got in, all but one had it. Not sure why they'd order without, but that's just me. Price I see did nearly double in 2 years.

It's a total treat to rip off the trail onto smooth pavement in the LR4. I've ridden my mountain bike over Hagerman in early July. Clear then, but I'm guessing you made the right decision this June. I'm sure it was deep snow. The lower Cottonwood Pass (the one towards Gypsum) was at least end of May.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, HD pack. Of the 6 they got in, all but one had it. Not sure why they'd order without, but that's just me. Price I see did nearly double in 2 years.

It's a total treat to rip off the trail onto smooth pavement in the LR4. I've ridden my mountain bike over Hagerman in early July. Clear then, but I'm guessing you made the right decision this June. I'm sure it was deep snow. The lower Cottonwood Pass (the one towards Gypsum) was at least end of May.

I am pleased to see they are ordering more with the HD package included. Back in January when I ordered mine the Denver store had 10 on the lot and none were HD. Others were also having trouble finding HD-equipped vehicles. I think (hope) they realized that in many areas the HD package remains highly desirable. That would especially be true in Colorado. And if you bought yours from the Glenwood Springs store I remember that they seemed to have a better sense of the importance of HD. In fact, I almost bought from them but the one they had available was not a color I wanted.

Almost did Cottonwood Pass on the trip home from Ouray yesterday. But with all the rain it didn't seem worth the bit of extra time so we took the Salida route out of Gunnison instead of heading north.

I'll check out Hagerman next year if I don't make it this year. If my schedule (and wife) allow, I may throw the camera and camping gear in the truck and head up to the mountains during some of Aspen color season in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV