11 mpg after 1 year of driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmag24

Reaction score
Came up on 1 year of driving. Roughly 12k miles. My wife typically drives the car. Mostly surface streets in West Los Angeles, so a fair amount of traffic. 20% of the time, we're on the freeways. The computer has a read of 11mpg which I find dismal. I expected poor gas mileage, but man, this thing is swallowing the gas. Any chance there's an issue or is this pretty standard? Most people on the boards in the past seem to get there's into the high teens, we're not even close. I get driving habits, topography, traffic, but was a bit surprised at how low we came in after a full year. Wondering if the service department will laugh at me for asking to see if there's any potential issues ... ?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right for mostly short hops in the city and little freeway (that name is a stretch L.A. "freeways" are often more congested than city traffic!) I live in Pasadena but work in the South Bay and get about 15-16 mpg on average - slightly better than my old 2006 RRS, actually - but my daily commute and job of visiting local SoCal accounts all over the place means a a fairly even mix of freeway and horrendous city traffic pretty much every day. I drive about 30-35K miles per year, so you can imagine the fuel bills... It's a company car, thank goodness.

Last edited:

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're getting 12 - 13 for city driving. Short trips, minimal highway miles.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what you expect from a 6000lbs car? Let's be real you can afford a LR4 gas shouldn't be an issue. What I do hate is how small the gas tank is. I got a Nissan titan as my daily (50 mile commute) and the tank last me 4 days the LR4 on the other hand...

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I average about 13.5mpg with mixed driving, slightly more highway though.

The 8 speed transmission would have made a big difference here.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over 13K miles now on my 2014. Yes, to Umberto's point, over half of that is "open" freeway (as opposed to SoCal freeway) with a Yakima basket on top and with a couple hundred pounds of luggage. The other 7K consists of running errands, off road (mostly in the mountains), etc.. But not a daily commute. Manual calculation is around 17.5. Vehicle's computer generated calculation is around 18.5. My driving style is "patient" and within a few MPH of the speed limit.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 V8... I get 11 mpg when towing my 7000 lb+ boat+trailer with 32" AT, rock sliders, ladder, roof rack with flooring and all the aero plastic taken off.

Without the trailer, it depends a lot on the wind +/- 4 mpg, but I get 17 ish, most of the time.

My MPG is most likely higher just because I live in Iowa and I can drive most places without hardly stopping or having much if any traffic.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average around 17 between town and highway driving but I really never get my foot into it that often. Driving styles will have a lot to do with mileage as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV