04 SE Tranny noise maybe.. Some projects and ideas needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I bought an 04 drove nice, NO odd noises, new coolant, heater plate just done, no leaks, clean oil new filter,new air filter, ice cold AC, tidy condition except for the lower windshield panel.
Planned on doing transmission filter and as I thought about it I started hearing a noise as it shifts from 1st to 2nd. It is a really quick viiippp, shifts smooth and quiet in all other gears and I don't feel anything like a slipping or hard shift. I have done two drain and fills about 5qts each time and fluid was clean with no metal or fiber. I have a filter and gasket coming, anything I should be looking for. If I accelerate just a little bit harder than usual then I don't hear it.... so that's what I'm doing for now to fix it.
Front drive shaft would not let grease come out of all 4 bearings, only 3 showed grease at the front so at the least I will be pulling it next week to see if it needs a rebuild.
Just ordered a Nanocom as the "service engine soon" light is on.
It has original wires so they are on the list, the SES light came on after I sprayed off the engine so am I thinking the damp probably caused a misfire from a bad wire as it ran rough for a minute.
Cleaned MAF and throttle body with a kit from CRC and a bottle of seafoam in the tank.
Needs front rotors, there is just a little bit of a shimmy when they get hot.
Printed out the list in the sticky. Once I get all the things that NEED doing I will go back and do all the rest of the list including things that maybe OK right now so I have a base line to work from.
I am planning to stick with this Disco and I've got my mind straight that its going to be a love hate relationship so lets get on with it......
Andy

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, welcome to the land of Rovers.
That being said, before you make the mistake of making repairs and buying things, you need to talk with some one who knows Rovers or you will bury yourself in bad/costly and possibly unnecessary repairs.
If you want to get started right, PM me your number and lets talk.
In the mean time, go to a local parts store and get your codes read and get back to us with the fault code numbers.

Reaction score
Lol that was quick , I am going to try to work through this methodically so that I end up with a good reliable Disco. I have read too many stories on here of guys that just throw money at the problem , hopefully between you guys and the Nanocom I can avoid that thanks Andy

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Reaction score
yhuzagub.jpg
a4a5yje9.jpg
uzavuhy2.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks Disco Mike for the guidance and suggestions. ☺
Regards Andy

Latest posts

Members online