Lower Inlet Manifold Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freeland

Reaction score
On a 2.5 KV6 Petrol engine:
Can the Lower Inlet Manifold Gasket leak coolant INTERNALLY, to put coolant into the oil?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No oil passages in the intake, so it would have to be going into a cylinder and then into the crankcase, so unless you have a large amount of smoke from the exhaust, not likely.

Freeland

Reaction score
Thanks much.
Here's what we have:
LR dealer states we have an external leak on the lower intake gasket - have coolant puddles in the driveway.
SES light on with 2 codes:
1). Lean code on bank 2
2). Intermittent misfire code on cyl 6
No noticible engine changes, sans a rough idle in Park facing uphill, and rough idle rarely at startup on a level surface which disappears if we shut down and restart.
Small water droplets in the oil cap, on short AND long drives, in cold AND hot weather.
White smoke at startup and warmup in morning, disappears after 5 minute drive.
Oil on dipstick looks/smells normal.
Maple syrup smell near front of car after running.
Thanks again -

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cylinder 6 is the rear driver's side cylinder(LHD) and the lower intake has a coolant passage right next to the runner (just pass through to cylinder head, intake isn't cooled) so if the gasket is bad, or manifold is not properly tightened, you may be leaking coolant out as well as allowing some into the intake runner for cylinder 6, which could be causing every problem you described.

Replace the gasket. If you are burning coolant, best case would be destroying your catalytic converter in the near future, worst case would be hydrolocking the motor completely.

As to the water in the oil cap, I would get an oil change, and monitor it. Some condensation is normal, more if you drive more short trips then long, but could also potentially be a sign of a serious issue.

Freeland

Reaction score
Thanks much.
I will update after the gasket is replaced.
Am told it will take 5 hours to complete the job. I'm handy when it comes to basic stuff, but this isn't something I can tackle.
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA