HELP.! Stuck in Low range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tombartley

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2003 TD5 Auto Discovery.

I rarely use Low Range however when engaging it yesterday (with some difficulty) I now find that it's stuck there.:eek:

The shifter now just flops between Low Range and High Range with no feeling of pressure at all. Unfortunately it's still is in Low Range.

I live in the bush a fair way from Town so I'd like to try anything before arranging a tow.

Thanks' in anticipation of any suggestions.:confused:

Tom.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get under the truck and disconnect the CDL linkage from the t/case shift ******, then work on luubing up the entire linkage and cable.

tombartley

Reaction score
Get under the truck and disconnect the CDL linkage from the t/case shift ******, then work on luubing up the entire linkage and cable.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I will get a chance to attack it tomorrow so I'll let you know how I go.

I omitted to mention that even though she's jammed in Low Range when pushing the stick forward towards Low Range, at the very end of the throw there is a bit of a clunk. I'm hopeful that it's an external noise.

Thanks once again,
Tom.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave you the wrong direction, I was thinking about the CDL portion of the t/case not the HI/LOW linkage.
If you are in the states, if you can send me your number I'll call you yjis morning.

tombartley

Reaction score
I gave you the wrong direction, I was thinking about the CDL portion of the t/case not the HI/LOW linkage.
If you are in the states, if you can send me your number I'll call you yjis morning.

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately I'm in Australia mate..!!! :frown:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so much for that idea. How mechanical are you and have you ever looked at your t/case and know where the 2 shift points are?

tombartley

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately I'm not at all mechanical which I guess answers your second question.

However, my mate who lives up the road is very mechanical and would no doubt understand and benefit from any information you may have.

I just make him coffee and lift heavy things.

He has been know to comment.." I'd only let him handle what a ******** Chimp is capable of..":frown:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get to the Hi/Low shifter connection, you have to pull the console, go thru the tunnel and manually clean and lube the lever where your linkage. Make sure before you reinstall the console the shift Hi/Low shifter a couple of times.