Transfer Case & Differential Fluid Specification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to perform this maintenance myself and would like to know the specific brand of oil stated for the different weight. Love the info here!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is some updated information, and as a reminder there is a difference between Initial oil fill, and an oil change. I use Royal Purple, I have pasted in the Oil I use at the end of this. This oil is available from Pep Boys, however, the last check they did not have the V8 Engine Oil filter so I have been ordering that online.

I can provide you a contact at Royal Purple if you want to try to formalize something. This stuff is not cheap. I have no agreement with them, I just promote the product on LR because I like it.

The transfer case should be done every 40-60k miles (at your discretion, and based on how hard you are using it) The Differentials fluids-- I normally tell people once every 30k miles or so.

The transmission, this is a big one, and everyone misses is, LR recommends service at 150k, that is twice the service life of the fluid. The Lifeguard 6 is rated for 75k, so change it (pan/filter) every 75k).. Transmissions & transfer are expensive, especially from the dealer, the good news is I have both.

Open Unit:
Castrol SAF–XO
Initial fill:
1.23 liters / 2.59 US pints
Service fill:
1.18 liters / 2.49 US pints

Electronic Unit:
Castrol BOT 720
Initial fill:
1.77 liters / 3.74 US pints
Service fill:

1.72 liters / 3.63 US pints

Front Differential:

Castrol SAF–XO
Initial fill:
0.68 liters
1.44 US pints
Service fill:
0.61 liters
1.29 US pints

Transfer Box:

Shell TF0753
Initial fill:
1.50 liters
3.17 US pints
Service fill:
Fill to level plug

Transfer Case: Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle)
Differentials: Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle); 0.65 quart for the front and 1.6 quarts for the rear

Motor Oil, Royal Purple 5x30 or Royal Purple 10x30. Royal Purple Filter;
V6 4.0L FI
Filter # 20-820
4.4L V-8
Filter # 20-2009.

Kindest Regards

djkronik57

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an older thread, but the front diff level instructions have got me scratching my head:

5. Fill with 0.61 litres (1.07 pints) (0.64 US quarts) Castrol SAF-XO - 75W/90 (LRN 7591)
CAUTION: Do not use the fill plug as a level, fill with the correct quantity

How have people been measuring out 0.61 liters or 1.07 pints? By eye?

RGLR4

Reaction score
Hi All,

Great thread! New here and looking to change 2011 LR4 HSE drive fluids (75k service) on my girlfriend's LR4. Went to Newport Beach dealer today to get the fluids. They told me to "fill until spill" on the differentials. This is how I've always done it on other cars, but after reading this thread I'm a bit confused. I had them call back and verify with the tech on hand. I mentioned reading online the capacities are much lower- Of course they blew it off as people not knowing what they're talking about... Anyone have the actual shop manual and could send me a snap shot of the instructions?? They wouldn't show that to me...

Thank you in advance!
Ryan

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past weekend was the second time doing the fluids change, every 60K miles on my 2012. I used Castrol Syntrax (need two liters) for the differentials and Royal Puple Syncrhomax (need 2 quarts) for the transfer case. The Synchromax meets the Shell requirements from the LR Shop manual, so no need to get the over priced LR stuff. The rear diff and transfer case have been fill to overflow on the fill port, both are easy to get to. There is a short ground strap to the transfer case (10mm socket) that I removed and then can pour the fluid right off the bottle.
The front is the one with the 600ml fill. I drained and it was right at the 600 mark, so I removed the front driver wheel and used this graduated funnel to add the pre-measured 600ml back in. I added a ”splash” more as some of the fluid will remain in the funnel and hose. This funnel is cheap at auto parts or Walmart, the end end is a perfect fit for the fill hole.

146D722D-7BDB-42C8-8BFC-800AE4EECAB4.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA