Electrical Issue: Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mavic19

Reaction score
Hello,
Just purchased a project vehicle (96 Discovery SE7) for $700. Mechanically, she runs great and transmission engages and shifts smooth. Cosmetically, she needs a lot of lipstick and rouge.

The issue I'm working through right now is getting the headlights to work. Here are the symptoms:
1) As described, the headlights will not turn on when the knob is turned on the combination switch.
2) The headlights WILL turn on when the combination switch lever is pulled back but immediately go out once the lever is released.
3) Turn signals work fine, but I noticed that it doesn't matter which direction I push the lever, BOTH turn indicator lights on the instrument cluster flash together. Also...instrument cluster back lighting is not working.
4) Marker lights will not turn on.
5) Only the overhead brake light works. Neither the right or left brake lights activate.

A majority of posts that I've read on here and other sites state the combination switch needs changed out. But....most of those posts the person is stating they are ONLY having a problem with the headlights. I'm wondering if I might have a faulty relay as all fuses check out.

Thoughts! Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
sounds like a couple issues.. possible bad switch and you may need to replace some bulbs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV