2005 lr3 285/60 r18 rubbing frame! help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anthonyoib

Reaction score
First off I used the search and couldn't find anything on this particular piece so now that that's out of the way

I have a 2005 lr3 se and I put some new tires some cooper ltz 285/60 r18 and now I'm rubbing on a piece of metal that is bolted onto the frame on the passenger side. It rubs one all levels of the suspension from access to off-road height. Im not rubbing what so ever on the driver side. My question is what is this part and can I take it off.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20140718_194204.jpg
    20140718_194204.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 119

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post some more pictures, to get a little perspective it doesn't look familiar.

There are some wires you need to relocate to be sure the tires don't tear them up.

Did you have mud flaps on it at some point, maybe that's what that is... ?

Here's a link worth a look as well.. http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/will-bigger-tires-rub/

anthonyoib

Reaction score
Can you post some more pictures, to get a little perspective it doesn't look familiar.

There are some wires you need to relocate to be sure the tires don't tear them up.

Did you have mud flaps on it at some point, maybe that's what that is... ?

Here's a link worth a look as well.. http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/will-bigger-tires-rub/

No mudflaps but I bought it at 78k miles and I played with the wires and couldn't find a good spot for them so I've parked the lr3 till I figure it out.

Here is the other picture. I took the piece off to check it out but put it back on just in case its a structural piece

If need be I can make a youtube video to show it but that will be a pain. Also I found 3 different things stamped on it but none would come back with anything on google nor would it come up when putting it in as a part number they were r273. R279 and dejaa

All in different places

Attachments

• 20140719_153605.jpg
    20140719_153605.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a frame horn to me. Side impact protection.

I have seen people remove it, but that sounds like a bad idea to me. You could have it modified. Again, its a safety devices, so you have to decide what you are willing to give up with it.

anthonyoib

Reaction score
Looks like a frame horn to me. Side impact protection.

I have seen people remove it, but that sounds like a bad idea to me. You could have it modified. Again, its a safety devices, so you have to decide what you are willing to give up with it.

I might see what a machine shop can do I only need about a half inch and I wont rub anywhere. But I just had to powder coat my rims black and get these awesome looking tires!

Attachments

• 20140717_144200.jpg
    20140717_144200.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 84

anthonyoib

Reaction score
Has anyone done a write up on moving the wires on the driver side im lost was looking and looking and couldn't find a good way to get them out of the way

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy. You just pull them off the frame then zip-tie them to the top of the rail.

I don't know what that piece is....on the other side I mean. I don't have it on my '05.

anthonyoib

Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy. You just pull them off the frame then zip-tie them to the top of the rail.

I don't know what that piece is....on the other side I mean. I don't have it on my '05.

Well just learned that nobody except the dealer can do an alignment here in town... so yay more money!!!!

Do you just wrap the zip tie all the way around the frame. If u have a picture of where u zip tied it could you post. Thanks

xray132

Reaction score
You can leave them off for now. You cut an inch off the front with a 4 1/2 grinder with a cut off wheel. Have anyone with a welder weld the flat part back on. They say they stop the tire from coming up in your floor on a head on. I still have mine on the floor in the garage, but I have RS Sliders which will stop the tire movement back. Those frame horns are welded to the frame on a 2008 up.

anthonyoib

Reaction score
You can leave them off for now. You cut an inch off the front with a 4 1/2 grinder with a cut off wheel. Have anyone with a welder weld the flat part back on. They say they stop the tire from coming up in your floor on a head on. I still have mine on the floor in the garage, but I have RS Sliders which will stop the tire movement back. Those frame horns are welded to the frame on a 2008 up.

Sweet yea I was looking at getting it cut down but who knows when ill get to that haha. This is my first rover and im loven it but damn they get expensive. I just learned I have to go to the dealer for an alignment and they want 180. But man it rides so good and does great off road

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV