Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pabs406

Reaction score
Hi guys. Have any of you had experience in having your oil changed at a Jiffy Lube or any other type of these places? What are your thoughts?

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would trust more my 8 year kid to do the oil change than "those " places.
Why not to DIY ?

pabs406

Reaction score
Hahaha. Just curious if anyone has had any experience. I don't wrench much, so I'm kinda scared to attempt this myself.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. Just curious if anyone has had any experience. I don't wrench much, so I'm kinda scared to attempt this myself.

The oil change on an LR4 is just about the simplest home-mechanic job I have ever done.

You say you don't wrench "much," which means you at least wrench some. Seriously. This is the easiest thing you can do.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An oil change in the LR4 is practical joke-easy if you buy the vac.

Whatever you do, DO NOT send your LR4 to a jiffy lube or similar. Do it yourself or pay the money for a knowledgeable mechanic or the dealership.

This is an expensive engine that seems to be finicky about oils. A quick lube place will likely put terrible oil causing who knows what.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup easiest oil change there is...with the correct tools. get a mighty vac pump and oil filter wrench.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pabs406, to echo the comments from others so far-- please don't take your LR4 to one of these places.

I'm not a major wrench turner either but learning how to change my own oil in my 2011 LR4 was easy and very rewarding. It takes a minor investment in equipment and a very small investment of time.

There are at least two excellent how-to guides prepared by forum members. These walkthroughs even tell you what equipment you'll need. One difference between the two is that one suggests the OEM Castrol oil, the other suggests Mobil1 synthetic (this is what I use at 7500 mi intervals. It is easier to source at Walmart, other big box stores, or even via Amazon). Here are some links:

www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22797

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbftim2AR2w

Check out the thread and the video above. You may be surprised how easy it is.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can change the LR4 oil faster than you can drive to one of those horrible quick lube places. And you know you did the job correctly. Just did mine yesterday and it took 20 minutes. Buy Mobil 1 5W-20 at Walmart ($23 for 5 gallon bottle) and oil filters from Atlantic British ($25 each).

To transport the used oil to a local recycling center, I pour it from the Mityvac into one of those orange 5-gallon Home Depot buckets. Be sure to buy the matching lid.

pabs406

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. So do I purchase a 90x15 or 89x15 flute?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA