Is the oil filter tricky on the LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up until I got the LR3 in 2005 I always changed my own oil. With the LR3, the dealer covered it for a while and then I just got used to having the shop do it. I usually had something else for them to check at the same time anyway...

So, for at least the third time since I've had my truck I found all my oil sitting in my driveway the day after an oil change. The first two times it was the dealer, I got it back to them and they claimed a bad oil filter. This time it was my local LR shop (good shop, no problems with them) and when I went underneath and took off the skid plates I found the filter was loose. Not wobbly, but it took very little effort to start the turn.

In all my years of changing my own oil, this never happened to me. But it's gotten to the point that I am not even comfortable getting an oil change the day before a road trip without putting some miles on the car first!

Is this just bad luck on my part, or is there something about the LR3 oil filter install that makes it prone to loosening up if they don't snug it really well? (I don't believe that the dealer had two filters fail. I think they had two service techs fail.)

Thanks...I realize this may sound like a stupid question, but I honestly have not heard other people have this complaint and EVERYBODY changes their oil!!! Well, not those Tesla guys. ;)

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem, and I've done about, what maybe 18? oil changes on LR3s since 2005. Sounds pretty ridiculous. I use a strap wrench and there's some hose or other (oil cooler line?) that you have to move out of the way a little to tighten it, but it's pretty much child's play to do it right.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3's oil filter is in the easiest location I've ever seen! Seems like there's a failure by the shops to know what tight means.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup.

Okay, thanks. Making sure it wasn't me!

The easiest filter I've ever changed was in an old '92 GMC Jimmy (Blazer) I had. The filter was right in the engine compartment in the top front corner. Only thing I had to get under the truck for was the lug nut and there wasn't a skid plate covering it!

But yeah, now that I have "changed" my LR3 oil, it's pretty simple.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait until you get a chance to do an oil change to an LR4. Going "under the truck" will seem so... 2005 after that. :smile:
I had no idea what you were talking about it, so I did a quick search...
...holy f*ck way to over-complicate an oil change! I know, if you have the tools and the knowledge it may be easier, but there's nothing intuitive or logical about what I just saw. I'm sure a cost savings is not reflected in the new design either. :biggrin:

EDIT - Umberto...I think I stand corrected. I just watched your video. That looks pretty easy. It seems a bit overcomplicated (what LR did, not your method) but it's interesting. They seemed to convolute it enough to make sure 99% of owners bring it in to the dealers for this and everybody is entitled to charge you double. But if you know how to do it, I agree, looks nice. Great video.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing the LR4 oil with a Mityvac is the fastest, cleanest oil change I have ever done. Takes about 15 minutes, 10 minutes to draw out the oil and 5 minutes to swap the filter on top of the engine.

The only downside is that you don't get to remove the skid plate and take a look around for other problems. (Leaks, ripped cv boot, etc.)

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV