Terrain Response

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azhary20

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new Land Rover (LR4) owner, and I hope that I will not regret the decision to buy a used LR4. I have a few questions and thought that you could be of help. My first question is: if I am driving in the normal mode and the conditions suddenly become snowy, am I able to switch the knob and change to snow mode while driving (without stopping the car)? My second question is: for the HDC, how do I turn it on? Do I turn it on while driving, or does the car need to be in a certain mode? I know that these are very basic questions, but I don't want to do anything that could harm the car because I invested in it, and I want to take the best care of it. I already love the car, my family loves the car, and even my little daughter loves the car. Thank you for your help.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can switch from road to grass gravel snow when moving. It changes the throttle mapping, so when you lift off the throttle and then start using it again it will feel different.

The owners manual should explain all of the modes and how to operate them, make sure and check that out.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hdc you can turn on anytime but I think you will only feel it under a certain mph speed. I have a 2010 lr4 so not sure if they changed the features

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hdc you can turn on anytime but I think you will only feel it under a certain mph speed. I have a 2010 lr4 so not sure if they changed the features

eljefe is right. You can turn on any terrain response mode except rock crawl while in motion and in gear. (I believe rock crawl requires 4L which you will not have unless you got the heavy duty package. You need to be in neutral to go to 4L.)

It is good to read up on the various terrain response modes and what is going on. Here is an old link on TR modes for the LR3 but I believe all of the basics apply. This and the manual will help.
http://********************/forum/lr3-28/terrain-response-dummies-11127/

The TR modes can/will alter different things. And some of those things don't make sense if you are going at higher speeds. (Such as raising the truck to off road height.) Throttle sensitivity. Whether or not it starts out in 1st or 2nd gear. The traction control system - which leverages the ABS.

When I had my training day with Bill Burke he pointed out that it is useful to get a feel for the different modes and how the truck drives/feels when you are using them. Don't simply go by the "name" or "symbol" for the mode. For example, the "Snow" mode is probably better described as very slick surfaces. Whereas if you are in deep snow you may need to be in Mud/Ruts mode. Bill also pointed out that the traction control system needs a steady accelerator to work correctly. Others on this forum will understand that better than I but it was described to me as holding the engine at about 1400 or so RPM as a "reference point" for the traction system. Then letting the system do its thing. The system is pretty amazing but it helps to understand a little bit of how it works.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA