Navigation update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive found the 2012 system to be terrible, especially compared to various different models (e.g., Acura is great).
I find myself just using my iPhone most of the time anyways as a result--and I think I'm going to continue to do so. Not sure if I'm willing to dress up a pig with some lipstick for $250. LOL!!! Takes me less than 10 seconds to enter wherever i going in on my phone, but forever with the LR4 (if it even has it in its databank).

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive found the 2012 system to be terrible, especially compared to various different models (e.g., Acura is great).
I find myself just using my iPhone most of the time anyways as a result--and I think I'm going to continue to do so. Not sure if I'm willing to dress up a pig with some lipstick for $250. LOL!!! Takes me less than 10 seconds to enter wherever i going in on my phone, but forever with the LR4 (if it even has it in its databank).

Which Acura do you have? I had a 2014 MDX and the switched to a new Nav system. Very frustrating. I actually like the one on the 2014 LR4 better. But I suspect the one on the MDX was undergoing Version 1 issues. It just seemed like a step backwards from what I had on my prior Lexus vehicles.

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I find the data entry on my 2011 LR4 to be easier than on our 2014 BMW, although it could be at least partially a familiarity difference. The route guidance on the LR4 sucks though...I've learned I cannot trust it at all to pick the fastest route and if there is any doubt and I care then I have to verify it with my phone/google maps.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nav on my 2013 is absolutely terrible compared to other model vehicles. LR nav / interface is regularaly negatively commented on in various reviews. I have a suction mounted holder for my Galaxy S5 and simply use Google Maps. It's far superior and free.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the updates VIN specific as they were in other vehicles? Or can I buy one stick and use it in both my 2013 LR4's? That was the sticking point I had with the NavTeq disks when I owned other vehicles that they charged by the VIN number and coded the disks to that VIN so you could only use the dosk in one vehicle. Because of that I let the nav systems go until I traded cars.

Answered my own question on the site...they are VIN specific so I'll just keep the old maps until I trade the vehicles. Not worth $400 to add few more streets. The interstates don't change that much here anyway...just slower!

"Please note the map update for your Land Rover has been preloaded onto a USB drive and will require activation before use. While completing your purchase you will be asked to provide your vehicle's VIN number to generate this activation code. You will be able to view this code both on the purchase confirmation page and receive an emailed copy for your reference during installation."

Last edited:

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nav on my 2013 is absolutely terrible compared to other model vehicles. LR nav / interface is regularaly negatively commented on in various reviews. I have a suction mounted holder for my Galaxy S5 and simply use Google Maps. It's far superior and free.

Curious as to why you think it is such a bad system?

juankacr007

Reaction score
Lr4 2010

What happen if the USA version car has been imported to some latinamerican country??

Any ideas how to up date the NAV system for local maps?

JC

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut