Frustration with '14 availability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love it if mine is on that ship!

Since your deposit is refundable there is not risk. You can put your order in then keep hunting. You may get lucky and have one pop up that will work for you. The same thing almost happened with us for a similar reason. If it does just get your deposit back.

And if news comes out about the 2015 before your order arrives and you decide you really want it - then again cancel your order and wait for a 2015. If you can be patient you can lock in a 2014 just as you want it and then see what happens.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not difficult, but I had to special order it from the UK as no dealer had the exact model I wanted (a LUX with locking rear diff... I wasn't asking for much) and therefore I had to wait several months for them to build it and deliver it. Totally worth the wait for me, but if you must have a car today, well... Land Rover is no Lexus or Mercedes Benz as far as new cars inventory is concerned.

I had to do exactly that for my MY13 LUX for the same reasons, plus I wanted beige interior with silver exterior (like the open roomy feeling on long drives that the lighter color gives). I had the same color combo with my 06 LR3 and had no problem getting one and didnt have to special order it, but for LR4 I had to. Every Silver they found in the US either had black interior or it didn't have the HD package, etc.

I literally waited for a year for the truck to arrive (due to some mishap by the dealership etc).

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update.
Put in my refundable deposit for the nearest dealer and they wrote back that I'm in the queue for the next 2014/2015 LR4 order (note that the order hasn't been made, that apparently is about 2 months out).
This dealer (sf Bay Area) said they received a single shipment of '14 LR4s last year which went quick, everything else had to be built and delivered.

Meanwhile contacted another nearby dealer and was told they are no longer making 2014 LR4 orders period.

Have an inquiry with a 3rd nearby dealer about ordering, awaiting reply.

So far it looks like I may have just missed the boat on ordering a 2014 LR4. Depending on details about the 2015 LR4 that may be good or bad.
I've found very little info about the '15 model, mostly this page (http://upcomingcars2014.com/2015-land-rover-lr4-release-date-price/) pops up. Interestingly it mentions significant aluminum usage which could provide better mpg but also be more costly. Still this page seems to be speculative. I think what I really want is the 2015 model to be just like the '14 version but with more bugs resolved :)

So I continue to peruse these forums about the LR4 and search the net for anything about the '15 model in effort to keep my hopes up that I will eventually be a part of the LR family. Hopefully I'll have some good info to add to this thread in the upcoming weeks.

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not consider a pre-owned (or even new) 2013?

I got mine in October, had to hop on a plane to get it but got what I wanted (Fuji/Ebony, LUX, Black Design Pack, HD radio) for 10K less than the original owner paid 6 month prior. Sure, I would have liked the HD package but I knew from my search that would be very difficult to find. The car did have 12K miles but looked as new as they day it was driven off the lot.

When I was looking there were still plenty of dealers that had new 2013's for sale, especially HSE's. I found mine on autotrader but looked ever day for 2 months on a few sites until the one I wanted appeared.

In my opinion the 8 cylinder engine and avoiding that silly gear shift knob far outweigh the roughly 2mpg improvement the 14 offers. And, you wont have to have that stop/start technology forced upon you. Not to mention the purchase price, new or used, will be significantly less than a 14. And you can have it now .... Good Luck.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reach out to Land Rover Rocklin. Great guys!! Niello motor group - lot's of buying power.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I custom ordered my 13 also, worth the wait.

I think if that didnt go smoothly I might have just bought a full fat range rover. I still like the look of the last design more than the new one, but I know the new RR is a good ride.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurances folks. I have been looking country wide on cars.com for '13-'14 new or barely used models, while I've found a few close matches I've yet to find a match on packages and color. I probably need to add more search tools as most dealer descriptions list basic features but are lacking in terms of packages.

I'm weighing the pros/cons of getting almost what I want and perhaps driving it halfway across the country versus ordering and getting exactly what I want (I'd prefer the latter since i don't need the vehicle immediately). Since some of you have waited a year to receive your order I guess I need to set my expectations accordingly - ouch!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I share your pain, I've been looking for used models under 30K miles for my wife and barely find anything. My local dealer has nothing but LR2's on their lot, they have sold their entire allotment for the next 6 months on everything else. Unbelievable.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Kinda sad how they do things. There are still a half dozen 2014's sitting on the lot at my dealership. But they all have black interior, none have the HD package. And when you go online to the dealerships website (Land Rover Denver) they all show up as Base models - but one of them is listed at $67K! That's no base model!

And they claim they can only sell to people in the Denver area. So how long do they sit on those things before someone wakes up?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV