China and Land Rover Shortages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I note that many of you have been lamenting the shortage of Land Rovers due to so many being shipped abroad. While I too agree that that is a bummer for all of us who want new LR's and RR's, that is being solved as Land Rover is currently completing construction on a new plant in Changshu, China to produce Land Rovers and Jaguars. The plant is a joint venture between Chery and Jaguar Land Rover and is known as Chery Jaguar Land Rover Automotive Company Ltd. Original completion date was scheduled for July 2014 but from what I gather, vehicles, other than some test units, will not be rolling off the lines until the end of the year or early 2015.

A capacity of 130,000 vehicles annually is predicted, with the first Land Rover having an engine somewhat smaller then two litres.

I heard today fom a trusted source that NONE of those models will be imported into the US and the vehicles will be produced specifically for the Asian market which is especially strong for the LR/RR/Jaguar brands.

This is indeed good news for the shortages of vehicles here. As these vehicles fill the gap, the demand for imports to that market will decrease to nil as the plant comes on line.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually heard the same thing last Saturday when I was chatting with my salesman friend at a local LR dealership. I was looking at the RR Autobiography LWB (NOT TO BUY) and he was telling me about the new plant and how China is eating up rovers like crazy. Also, because of the huge influx of very wealthy Chinese to the SF Bay area to buy vehicles and houses, the dealership has had to really crack down and have these huge signs about no exporting allowed.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Chinese pay up to $300,000 for a Land Rover! I could not believe that figure but saw it in print and was floored. So, a 75K vehicle here fetches 4X that amount in China! No wonder it will be profitable to build the vehicles in China and with the smaller engines so the fuel economy is better or that they will run with a substandard grade of petrol or with diesel engines. Have not heard so far whether the engines will be diesel or gas.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Chinese pay up to $300,000 for a Land Rover! I could not believe that figure but saw it in print and was floored. So, a 75K vehicle here fetches 4X that amount in China!

Hard to imagine, but this is what LR of San Jose told me in May as they took my driver's license and did a background check (guess I could've been involved in a lux vehicle exporting ring :wink: )on me before they allowed me on the waiting list to order an LR4.

Triumph

Reaction score
A rumor in a recent focus group I was in was that the new Saudi Arabia plant might be used for new Discovery Vision and Defender models in the US.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA