Custom ordering an LR4 for San Gabriel, CA delivery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raj1

Reaction score
Hello,

Any suggestions on how I can custom order an LR4? Our designated dealer is in Pasadena and they donot take custom orders.

The reason I am looking to custom order is that I donot want to pay for things which I will never use such as navigation system and Sirius radio. They are redundant when you have an iPhone. I am looking for a base LR4 with parking assist and surround cameras - that's about it.

Shall I start calling other dealers in SoCal to see if they might be willing to help? Would love to hear your experiences for custom order as well.

Any suggestions on who I should talk with appreciated. Also, I donot mind waiting for a 2016 model if too late to order a 2015. Thanks

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to another dealer. I don't think they verify your home location all that strictly. If they ask just say you live nearby, give them the zip code of wherever the dealer is.

I don't know why your dealer wouldn't do an order for you, that seems fishy.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get the surround cameras, I believe you need at least a HSE trim with standard navigation, Vision Assist is not an option in the base model. Any dealer should be able to special order a car for you from the UK, I don't understand why Pasadena would refuse to do so. Of course, no dealer can order packages or options that are not available in the US market, so if you really want a base model with no navigation but must have surround cameras, chances are no dealer will be able to help you. Such a car just cannot be built for North America.

tucsontom

Reaction score
Umberto is correct. I just ordered a base LR4 out of Tucson. Similar reasoning. I tried a few requests with my dealer and they can't make special requests. What you see on the Land Rover website is it for your ordering protons - within the Base category. Expect the order to take 3 to 4 months.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, it is not uncommon for automotive makers to have a finite (and usually small) set of models and option packages. Reduces cost. LR is actually more flexible on this than was Acura with their MDX or Lexus.

tucsontom

Reaction score
Excuse my typo on my last thread - meant options "not protons" spell check!
I feel that even at the LR4 Base Level - I got what I wanted - and did not pay for things I could not afford at the HSE trim - so I COULD afford aftermarket features important to me - such as Johnson rods, 18" wheels and off-road tires, rack and sliders - all professionally installed by Land Rover for reasonable labor rates from a dealer. Overall a very pleasurable buying experience. Maybe you should sit down with another salesman now that you have more info. Salesman and how patient they are can be a big variable.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, have you already had all of this done? If so, what sliders did you go with? And wheels?

tucsontom

Reaction score
My vehicle does not arrive until mid to late July. I have a "refresh" appointment with my salesman mid June to make sure the order is 100% correct. At that time I will order the aftermarket stuff - Likely thru Lucky8 on the east coast as they have the 18" Compomotive wheels needed. Justin at Lucky8 said a new set of rock sliders should be out by then - he said the name was "Platinum". I have to find out more about that in June - otherwise I will go with sliders that a have built in ledge to help in loading since I plan on getting a full length Baja Rack (all sold by Lucky8). Once the rig is in town I will get Cooper Discovery AT3 tires (as recommended by Overland Journal) locally. BFG TA KO2 would be a good choice too. If my budget allows I may add flood pattern grille mounted lights. I also am thinking about a drawer system - but may wait - since like I believe you mentioned - - I might want to keep the options open for fold flat seating in the second row to use the entire back for sleeping and a full rear drawer system does not allow that. Optional foul weather sleeping spot. I am 6'2" so not sure how much room there is. Mostly I use tents. I have a half drawer system now and I really like it.AT Overland system. I can get to tools ,etc. without unloading camping gear.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am 5'8" and it works for me to lay out my pad and sleeping bag along one side of the cargo space floor. I can stretch out full length. But there is not much additional space on that floor. There still about a foot a distance to the back of the front seats if they are moved up. But that is an open gap, not cargo floor space. It would not be difficult to cut a narrow board (something less than the width of half the floor space that would extend into that gap between the folded second row and the front seat simply to hold your pillow. It could be kept small enough to fold out of the way when you are not sleeping.

I have a makeshift drawer thing that covers a bit left than half of my rear cargo area. Its only about 3' long. But it is very handy. It is not permanently attached so I can left it out and set aside when I need the full, flat cargo floor. I have two so I can place them side by side which gives me a solid platform on which to pile other boxes/gear. Or I can stack them on one side and free up the other so I can use the rear seat or lay out my sleeping pad/bag.

tucsontom

Reaction score
Dan - we have taken this off-topic and maybe I should start a new thread - but I am curious about the 3' drawer system you mention - did you build it or where did you buy it? I am familiar with the AT Overland versions and the Frontrunner but I also want something that is not permanent and still a drawer system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA