Disabling 2014 ECO Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To permanently disable the Intelligent stop start.
Simply remove the right rear interior trim panel in the luggage area, where the fuse panel is located. You just have to reach under and grab the handle and give it a good tug.
Inside you will see a small battery. Simply disconnect the negative lead off the battery. Once the lead is removed. tape it up with electrical tap so there is no chance of an electrical short and tie it so it won't move around. I just used zip ties.

replace the trim cover and enjoy .

No fault codes, no displayed error messages and most importantly NO MORE Intelligent Stop Start

I couldn't find anyone who had done this on a land rover, but it is a very common fix on the Jag's with the same system. I decided to try it and sure enough it works.

Hope this helps those of you were as displeased as me with the system.

This was posted above in this thread. Also note that for '15s the battery is now in the engine bay.

Hauserc

Reaction score
Is there a reason why you would not also disconnect the positive cable?

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point, Soda. Remember when you had to take the KEY out of our pocket and fumble around for the ignition and THEN turn it to start the engine? Now, instead of pushing one button, you can push two for the "starting sequence" :)

Eco doesn't bother me most of the time, but I agree it would be better to have the default setting be "OFF".

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that stop-start is used to game the European fuel economy test...it's been shown that it makes little to no actual real-world difference to fuel economy, it simply allows manufacturers to score higher MPG on the test and thus display on the window sticker. One of many examples of government regulations influencing vehicle design for the worse.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that stop-start is used to game the European fuel economy test...it's been shown that it makes little to no actual real-world difference to fuel economy, it simply allows manufacturers to score higher MPG on the test and thus display on the window sticker. One of many examples of government regulations influencing vehicle design for the worse.

+1, let's all try and think it improves the mileage and maybe it will...

I remember being in Switzerland back in the 80s and seeing signs at stop lights saying coupez le moteur (turn off your car), manually required start stop. Oh how far we've come.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd update this thread with an interesting development.

I can't get the Eco feature to work on my 15'. :ciao: haha I'm loving it. For the last few months, neither my wife nor I can recall it working at all. She never turns the override switch off either.

A/C off, stereo off, all switched power devices that I know of are off.

Wondering if the ECU re-flash as part of a recall a few months back had something to do with it?

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, that's pretty funny.
On a side note, I've noticed that the Eco start up for me has become smoother than before (and it wasn't rough to begin with). Once I hit ~7k miles the startup sound and movement is more subtle. I keep it engaged almost 100% of the time.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the ECO feature is not working because one of your batteries (the main cranking, the auxiliary one or both) are not fully charged. You may want to get them checked asap before they leave you stranded.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh good idea. The main battery was replaced 2 weeks ago after it died. Maybe the aux battery went with it and it wasn't caught? I'll throw a meter on it this weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut