Simple, temporary off road lights to attach to my Yakima rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being an amateur landscape photographer I am reaching the point where I need to be on location well before sunrise and after sunset. Some of these locations are on back roads. (Dark, rough, etc.) So I'm investigating some additional lighting to use while driving these roads. I don't need/want anything permanent as it is not that often that I will need them. I am wondering if there are options that I can quickly attach to my Yakima basket/rack that are either battery powered or for which I could run a power cord down to a 12v outlet. I won't be using them for camping or anything other than maybe setting up camp.

Ideas?

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are stuck having to have wired lights to provide enough power and time. I suppose you could rig some system up but why? If the rack isn't on the car all the time You can get some quick disconnect connectors for the lights. Our LR4 rack is mostly off and only on for trips. I'm planning on wiring some lights for camp to the rack using these lights and these connectors. I'm going to cut the connectors in half and use the actual ends to meet in the middle. I use these floods on my 110 and they are awesome for light.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430319811.700951.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430320030.197908.jpg

For driving lights I'd connect them in front of the grill so there isn't any reflection off the hood.
You can go big time with the Rigid lights or try the cheapo knock off for which I hear are actually pretty good.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430319932.591658.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430319941.759119.jpg

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. The imaged didn't come through. But I did go to the Rigid website and found a wiring setup with a 12v cigarette lighter adapter. Then found that on Amazon. Trying to find out if their small 12v floods or spots or Duallys would work with that setup. If so, I can run the wiring through the upper, rear tailgate and to the 12v outlet in the rear on the left side. That is good enough for the occasional and temporary use I have in mind.

rovingtony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I have no idea why the image won't load. What I posted were Truck Lite Work Lights and Westin Led Work Lights.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries. It led me to what I needed. Thanks! I should have them next weekend. I'll post pics once I install.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV