Visible wires in windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5Dpatrick

Reaction score
Hello evreyone, My 2015 HSE LUX has about a thousand black squiggly wires running through the front windshield from top to bottom. When the light hits them just right they are annoying. I am sure they are either part of the rain sensor or the windshield heat system. Anyone else see these in your vehicle?

LINYLR

Reaction score
Hello evreyone, My 2015 HSE LUX has about a thousand black squiggly wires running through the front windshield from top to bottom. When the light hits them just right they are annoying. I am sure they are either part of the rain sensor or the windshield heat system. Anyone else see these in your vehicle?

The lines are for the heated windshield. I noticed them the first few times I drove my truck. To be honest, I don't even notice them anymore and I have had my truck since January.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look beyond them... Your eyes will train to focus past them in no time - if you give it a chance and stop thinking about those squiggly wires. :wink::wink:

Lots of new LR owners have been complaining about the visible filaments since Land Rover started using this type of heated windshield many years ago... I am on my second Land Rover with cold weather package, and they bothered me for maybe 5 minutes back in 2005. Now I have to really focus to see them. They only bother me when they interfere with GPS reception of my radar detector. They are very effective at defrosting your glass.

I believe Land Rover is now making the regular, non-heated windshield a NCO upon purchase on most of its models, specifically to address this issue with owners who cannot get used to these filaments.

Last edited:

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the heated windshield is BOSS!!!

5Dpatrick

Reaction score
cool, thanks guys. They are really not a big deal to me, my #1 passenger hasn't adjusted to them yet tho..... She will soon hopefully

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was one of those complainers Umberto referred to. I was investigating ways to replace it. Fortunately folks on this forum convinced me to give it some time. It took about a week to completely forget about it even at those low light times when the wires would be more noticeable. The heated windshield is the good. The only issue with the wires is that I haven't found a location for my EZ Pass sticker for a toll road here. Apparently the wires interfere.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the blacked out portion behind the rear view mirror? No heating wires there... But not sure whether that black tint interferes. I never had issues with my toll roads transponder here in SoCal by the way, whether on the glass or behind the mirror. I guess it depends on the technology. My radar detector can't lock on a GPS signal about 50% of the times, though. Also, strangely when I had an Evoque loaner last year the transponder in the same general location would not work - but Land Rover had wisely left part of the windshield clear of filaments for those types of devices.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A transponder might work. They went to a little tag sort of like an RFID tag here. That's what hasn't been working. I think I may have the option to go back to a transponder.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the blacked out portion behind the rear view mirror? No heating wires there... But not sure whether that black tint interferes. I never had issues with my toll roads transponder here in SoCal by the way, whether on the glass or behind the mirror. I guess it depends on the technology. My radar detector can't lock on a GPS signal about 50% of the times, though.

Good reason to have a built in system like ****** 9500ci or similar... laser shifters are awesome when needed. I've gotten some ugly looks from HP when I roll by ;)

The toll thingy I use seems to work fine. I wonder how they're different.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Kalifornia you get more than ugly looks... Laser jammers are illegal. Radar / laser detection works fine through the heated windshield, you just get more false alerts, no red light camera warnings, etc. when the ******'s GPS receiver can't lock onto a satellite and detect where you are. :frown:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA