Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To jump on top of what Brandon says.... I'd go with at least the 265/65R18 size, as that is what I have currently with my BFG AT KOs on 18" Compomotives. I have the IIDTool, but only use it when off roading since I prefer to keep my truck at standard height. With that said, the 265/65R18 size does not rub on the BFGs, so I know they won't on your two choices. Both of your choices are great tires! I think I'd lean toward the Toyos, but man, both get great reviews. What size would you go in the General Grabber - I didn't think they had 265/65R18?

I may give my truck a little lift, but since I have the full roof rack, boxes, etc. on the roof, raising it only a little bit does make it worse than it already is on the road.

Can't wait to hear more about your set-up!!!! I'll be back in MA from Dec. 15-27, so we should get together.

-David

David,

General doesn't have the 265 otherwise it'd be a done deal. They have the 285 though.

Slightly worried that 285 will have too wide of a contact patch and I might stick with a 265 which implies Toyo or BFG...

Going in the 32" would be fun and look awesome and would allow me to stick with a narrower tire.

See you soon

Axel

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just wanted to share my info and will keep updating as necessary. I just received 5 Compomotive wheels in Anthracite Grey. I am using Nitto Dune Grappler tires, which are not really much use for most on this forum. I am working in Qatar (Middle East), so the sand oriented tire was exactly what I was looking for.

As I said, I went with the Nitto Dune Grappler 285/60/18 - (Street 40psi / Offroad 20psi). Initial reaction is that these are MUCH more comfortable on the street over the stock tires! It soaks up small speedbumps and road imperfections much better. There is the absolute tiniest bit of tire noise at speed (compared to the stock tires), but you really have to listen for it. It's no where hear as bad as I have heard some AT / MT tires.

I have only had them mounted up for a day now, but so far I havent heard any rubbing whatsoever at stock suspension height. I have even tried full lock turns and so far nothing heard. I have purchased an IIDTool for EAS lifting while in the desert. It's quite common to go over dunes where you need the height and then transition to long flat surfaces and right back to dunes again, so the constant compressor work raising manually and auto lowering at speed wouldnt be optimal. IIDTool will keep me at offroad height for the duration of my dune bashing, then quick flash it back to stock once on the road.

I havent had a chance to test the tires offroad myself yet, but from everything I have read online states they are amazing in sand and exceptional on dry road. Everything else is mediocre at best and poor for mud. Doesnt bother me because in this climate its dry 9 months of the year and there is no rock crawling to be had.

Overall, the look is amazing. I have an 2013 Indus Silver LR4 and blacked out the grille and side vents. The Anthracite PD1880 wheels compliment the overall look. Next on the upgrade list will be Voyager Offroad rock sliders with the side step. (While not really using the slider for rocks, it provides the most aestheticly pleasing side step and does not lose any ground clearance. I have also read it's nice protection from oversized tires from flinging up small stones across the bodywork)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On looks alone, the Dune Grapplers take the cake. :biggrin: I almost bought them a few years ago for my Sport, just because they looked so cool! I hope you will post some photos, sounds like a great setup for your terrain.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm in the process of ordering 5 new Compo wheels, 5 new TPM Sensors, and now I'm looking at tires. Most everyone seems to be using the 265/65/18 wheels which measure out at about 31.5x10.4. Has anyone tried an LT275/65/18? I'm not pushing for a bigger tire, just curious.

It should be around 32.1x10.8. I'm changing because the redbourne wheels along with 275/55/20 at 31.9 rub like hell, so I'm not too interested in any rubbing. I plan to keep at least 50mm of lift in place once I change the tires, so that may help. Right now I'm torn between the Toyo ATII and the BFG A/T. Both are great tires, but the price of the Toyo's may win the race.

Any thoughts???

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm in the process of ordering 5 new Compo wheels, 5 new TPM Sensors, and now I'm looking at tires. Most everyone seems to be using the 265/65/18 wheels which measure out at about 31.5x10.4. Has anyone tried an LT275/65/18? I'm not pushing for a bigger tire, just curious.

It should be around 32.1x10.8. I'm changing because the redbourne wheels along with 275/55/20 at 31.9 rub like hell, so I'm not too interested in any rubbing. I plan to keep at least 50mm of lift in place once I change the tires, so that may help. Right now I'm torn between the Toyo ATII and the BFG A/T. Both are great tires, but the price of the Toyo's may win the race.

Any thoughts???

Pretty much the same situation than me.

I ordered LR3 rims, I'm gonna get spacers so the calipers fit.
265/65R18 is a nice choice but the 275/65R18 seems even better.

Blackforesfham (Sasquatch Rods) recommends that size, I have also sent a quick email to Johnson Rods and their reply is that with the rods they'll fit fine and no need for any modification. Just an alignment.

Also hesitating between the Toyo and BFG (maybe the Generals...)

The guy from Gap Diagnostic has 275/65R18 on his RR.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the same situation than me.

I ordered LR3 rims, I'm gonna get spacers so the calipers fit.
265/65R18 is a nice choice but the 275/65R18 seems even better.

Blackforesfham (Sasquatch Rods) recommends that size, I have also sent a quick email to Johnson Rods and their reply is that with the rods they'll fit fine and no need for any modification. Just an alignment.

Also hesitating between the Toyo and BFG (maybe the Generals...)

The guy from Gap Diagnostic has 275/65R18 on his RR.

I have a brand new set of 30mm spacers unopened. I ordered them, and before they even arrived I realized I didn't need them. I've been holding them just in case. PM me and I'll make you a deal.

Have you seen any pics of the 275/65/18 on the LR4? The 265 looks good, but I'd bet the 275 looks looks even better while providing a bit more ground clearance.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dont know how you guys would get around on 275/65 without serious rubbing issues. I have 285/60 (smaller diameter than 265/65) and I still get the occasional rub at certain angles / compression of the suspension.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dont know how you guys would get around on 275/65 without serious rubbing issues. I have 285/60 (smaller diameter than 265/65) and I still get the occasional rub at certain angles / compression of the suspension.

Yep, that's why I'm asking. The 285/60 is 31.5 but 11.2 wide. That alone could cause the rub. the 275 is 10.8 and the 265 is 10.4 It all makes a difference. Especially when combined with the offsets of the wheels we're considering. With the Comps @ 44, stock at 53, Redbourne at 32, and the Fuel blanks at 20, we're all over the board here.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 285/60's rub occasionally with the 18's. If I was on a skinnier but taller tire, I would be worried about rubbing the top of the wheel well in lowered mode.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More to the point, what is the absolute limit in diameter for limp mode when the EAS completely deflates? You dont want to be sitting on your tires unable to move. I am fairly certain you can use your IIDTool to purge the EAS system, but I wouldnt want to be the one to risk the damage to the wheel well liners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut