Hood Open warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shrinkboy

Reaction score
Figured I'd post this to save others some headache.

Got a random 'Hood Open' alarm on the digital display, no recent work, other than a headlight bulb change. Both left, right and safety catches were all fully functional, but there appeared to be either a short or a bent piece of metal in the left-hand latch that has the hood close sensor.

Turns out if the hood open event is tripped, it will prevent the remote from locking the doors, which was maddening when trying to park the car in public with gear inside...

The latch is easy to get to - two standard torx heads behind the grille (visible even with the grille on) and there's a clip-on part at the bottom that's connected to the computer. Removing that, cleaning gunk out and prying the small metal clip up along with mounting the latch itself slightly higher than prior (matching the right side) seems to have corrected the problem. If the sensor is dying, and finally fails, it's on Atlantic British for $34 and anyone with hands can do the swap.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I think that most of us on the LR3 forum have already replaced our hood sensors. Apparently the LR4 has the same hood sensor with the same issue.

It's concerning to get the "Hood Open" message when going 75 mph. Then my alarm kept going off randomly. Thankfully it's an inexpensive part that is easy to replace.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the 2015 LR4's have that switch. I was on the highway one day and saw the hood moving up and down. Pulled off at an exit and found the hood not latched. I looked all over for the switch since I changed it out on my LR3 and didn't see one was on the RH side at the latch. Also noticed there isn't a light under the hood like the one I had on the LR3. Guess they had too many problems with them or just wanted to save money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72