Trailer Icon MIA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First let me say how solid the fancy Tow Package hitch is.
But I'm suspicious about our LED trailer maybe not triggering the LR's trailer module. I have yet to see the trailer icon in the instrument panel as described in the owners manual. It is supposed to display on engine start and with turn signals. I have selected the proper configuration of the CCF as suggested by Eric at Gap. Do your 2015's display the icon when your trailer is connected?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new LED trailer also, no icon. It is annoying because the park sensors are always going off every time I go into reverse.

I know I have seen them before, on my dads trailer, non-LED.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my '12 does not work with LED's either. You'll need to add a resistor (several) to the wiring. Haven't looked for a solution recently that might be more plug and play.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 100 ohm (as used in trailer wiring adapters) resistors in trailer circuits but still no icon on dash. That is only .12 amp and 1.44 watts. Perhaps LR needs more resistance?

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only 7-pin round to 7-pin round with resistance I could find was a long, ***** thing. Just soldering in 100-ohm resistors on the trailer now, although Tekonsha Tech Support told me LR is different from the German autos like BMW where the vehicle is just pinging the trailer. "Inquiring minds want to know" how the LR trailer electronics function.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, out of frustation I hooked up a 21W incandescent bulb. And now I know what the trailer icon looks like!
Unfortunately, that would take a huge resistor. Calculaor says 7 ohms pulling 1.75 amps. Guess I'll try progressively smaller loads next. I've asked the trailer manufacturer about what incandescent lamp assemblies might fit. Hate to just bolt any old thing to out beautiful new trailer. Any advice?

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Research complete. Bought a selection of lamps and worked up, 5 watts, 10, 12.5 and finally at 14.4 (Philips 917) the trailer icon appeared. Now to find some appropriate resistors.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be confused a bit. you are just inlining a bulb in the wiring up by the hitch area?

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Testing at round 7pin female connector of LR, across pin 5 or 6 to ground. (Note: pins 5 and 6 are at 9 and 3o'clock relative to locating slot.)

Fix will be at trailer taillights.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72