Oem wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oclr4

Reaction score
The new RR use a 255/55/20 tire on a 8.5, 47mm offset wheel on some vehicles. I am considering using this setup, does anyone on the forums have any knowledge or experience with a 255/55/20 tire on an LR4? My stock tires are 255/50/20 so they are exactly one inch shorter than my proposed setup,

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be no problem whatsoever.
Go onto tirerack and compare some tire dimensions for 265/65x18, which is both wider, and taller than you're wanting to try. This size fits fine on stock lr4.
For example, 265/55x20 is about the same diameter, but still wider, than 255/55x20. So, the tight spot usually a concern, at the top of the tire behind it, the upper control arm or A arm comes close to the tire. I think you'd still be able to slide your hand through on that size you want to use.
The other tight spots when turning, should also be just fine because other people are using wider tires pushing the limits. You won't be pushing the limit and will have no worries.

In fact, when I first started out I had 20" wheels from a supercharged model which were 9" wide and just barely fit a 285/50x20 with slight rub when suspension dropped too far (rub was only on that upper control arm bit behind the top of tire that you can't quite see). 275/50x20 fit perfectly though and it's wider than what you're planning.

The size you want will look good and give you a bit of extra sidewall for rougher roads and nicer ride. Good idea!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires will fit fine, but I am not so sure the wheel hub of the Mark IV Range Rover is the same dimensions as the LR4 (I have heard it is larger on the new Range Rover and 2014+ RRS, but don't know for sure), you may want to double check with a dealer if they know before buying those wheels.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah yes, the center bore. It's the same between lr3/4 and earlier rrs and full size but newest could be different. parts department ought to be able to look up specs

oclr4

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I am getting them coated black and will install them on Monday. I will post a picture for those who might be interested in buying RR wheels/tires for their LR4. I like the fact that the offset is 6mm more aggressive than my stock 20" factory LR4 wheels. Of course I think the 255/55/20 tire will look much better than the current low pro 255/50/20. Here is a pic of the wheels right before going to the powdercoater and leaning against the truck.

Attachments

• 20150430_103020_resized.jpg
    20150430_103020_resized.jpg
    788.3 KB · Views: 115

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I had the RRSC 20" on my LR3, they looked awesome with the wider stance.

A word of advice to make extra sure they know about, absolutely make sure they will mask off the center bore chamfer and then mounting face. If not, you will be very unhappy with the poor fitting issues afterwards.

oclr4

Reaction score
Here is a pics with the 20" RRS OEM wheels/tires. I think the 255/55/20 tire is a pretty good fit for the LR4. No rubbing and the tire itself is exactly 1" taller than the stock 255/50/20 tires. The rim itself is 8.5" wide, same as my original wheels, but the offset is 6mm more aggressive so the rim /tire sit out 1/4 inch further than stock. 20" RRS wheels/tires are inexpensive on EBAY (as guys with the RR generally don't like the smallisth 20" wheels) and a nice alternative for the LR4.

Attachments

• bbb.jpg
    bbb.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 126

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job! Good to have more wheel / tire combination info. It's by far the most asked about topic on the forum from new users.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good. what did you do with your stock wheels? let me know.

Thanks,

shedlock2000

Reaction score
Hey! I am just working through exactly this build for my 2006 LR3, so it's right on the money! In fact, I am even using the same rim -- though I am going up to a 275/55/20 (and a touch of lift).

I am a little worried about the load rating for the rim, though... The Disco3 forum insist that RRS rims are lower rated than the LR3 rims (915kg opposed to 940). When I picked out my rims, I looked for photos of the rear online, and the rim indicated 950Kg (10kg more than the stock LR3). Can you confirm this because I load up my Rover pretty heavily.

Also, can you confirm whether or not there was any issues mounting the rim? I am assuming that the LR3 has the same centre bore as the LR4 -- so will my rims (the same as yours) fit without a centric spacer? Have you had any vibration issues since?

One final question, my LR3 always sits up at the back a bit and yours (and most I've seen) sit level -- I have a 1/2" electronic lift atm, but is the height meant to be up a bit on the LR3 and level on the LR4?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi