No Forward Drive, had to drive home in Reverse!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toran

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just like the title said, I was driving along and the two flashing green lights appeared. At that point the car would no longer move forward. I turned the car off and on, along with waiting for a few minutes. It would start but the two flashing green lights no longer appeared. Only thing I could do was drive her in reverse to get home. It was an experience driving 13 miles home in reverse but I made it safely.

What should I be looking for to get her running again?

T.I.A.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First I would check to make sure it is full of transmission fluid. Since it sounded like a computer glitch I would disconnect the battery and reconnect after about 10 minutes to see if it was just a computer hickup. After that I would plug it into the Rovacom computer (land rover dealer or repair shop system) and check to make sure you don't have a bad computer module...

Toran

Reaction score
Thank joey,
I will follow those instructions and report back.

So not being able to drive forward would have nothing to do with a front drive shaft?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It should not... if the front drive shaft failed you would have heard massive amounts of noise and had probably complete transmission failure... and the vehicle would not go forward or backward.

Toran

Reaction score
This Forum is a sweetheart!
Will get to work on her this first thing tomorrow!

Thank you joey!

Toran

Reaction score
Hello joey,
I checked and replaced transmission fluid, and filter.
Disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and still the same thing.
Any other suggestions before trying to get this to a dealer?

While under the car I took an image of the XYZ switch. Is this normal, but my XYZ rod doesn't look straight. Would this have any affect on not getting the car moving forward?

Also I found a big heavy damaged wire on the passenger side slightly above the transmission, is this my transmission ground?

T.I.A.

Attachments

• xyz-switch!.jpg
    xyz-switch!.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 29
  • transmission-ground-.jpg
    transmission-ground-.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Toran

Reaction score
Hello All,

Here is an update as of today.
I replaced the XYZ switch and still no go forward.
With the front end jack up I noticed the driver front wheel was spinning forward when applying a little press of the gas pedal, but nothing from the front passenger wheel.

Is this normal?
Am I getting closer to anything?

T.I.A.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry didn't see your post about the wire... Not sure which wire this is, but if it is shorted out it could cause issues if it isn't a ground wire.

Remember your rover is all wheel drive, which basically means unless traction control is doing its job correct (applying the brake on spinning wheels) you are one wheel drive, which means one wheel spins and you go no where. So one spinning wheel is sadly normal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV