Coolant Leak Only In Winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wren1997

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2003 Discovery with 135K. I notice a pretty good coolant leak during the winter when the heat is in use. There is no leak at all during the summer. My AC has not worked for two seasons so I don't turn it on. A local garage did a pressure test and said there was a leak in the head gasket. If it were just the head gasket wouldn't it leak all year long? I'm willing to bet there is a slight leak in the head gasket but think there may be more going on here. Any thoughts? Thank you for your time!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
How much does it leak in the Winter versus summer? Do you drive it the same winter/summer? Do you smell coolant with the heat on? A/C may just be low on 134a... buy a large can with leak fix.

wren1997

Reaction score
Joey,
It leaks about 1/4 of the reservoir a week in the winter. In the summer it's almost unnoticeable. I rarely have to top it off when the weather is warm. I drive it the same winter/summer. No, no coolant smell inside the car with the heat on. Thanks for the AC tip!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am betting it is a heater core issue even if you're not smelling coolant... I bet if you run the Rover in the driveway with the heat on you will find a water leak.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick