Asfir 4x4 sump guard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently installing the Asfir sump guard/skid plate. I can figure out where all the spacers go and whatnot, but the very front plate will not install without really pushing up on the bottom plastic of the front bumper. Is this the same experience others have had?

Looking at the attached picture, the bottom part of the bumper trim has two parts that jet out either side of the front tow hoop. Attempting to put the front skip plate up there impacts those parts.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, as a matter of fact I remember I had to "shave" some of the plastic off those two corners with an Exacto knife to get the front portion of the Asfir plate to sit at the correct angle over the bumper. Also, is there a strip of foam applied to the upper edge of the front plate - the part you haven't installed yet? Without foam acting as a spacer, that aluminum edge may rattle against the plastic of the bumper at high speed (due to wind buffeting) and make some annoying noise.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The bolts they supply weren't really long enough to make that work for me while simultaneously using the washer configuration they recommended. I wound up not using the lock-washers and just used the regular washers. The other option would be to go get some longer bolts.

There is the pre-installed foam on the top edge of the leading piece. I can see what you are saying of the need for it to be there.

I will need to do some slight modification on the two holes in the middle of the main skid plate to get them to line up with the frame holes they are to utilize. No big deal, since the skid plate is aluminum.

Incidentally, I happened to create a "tool" that really helps with this job. Rather than using a big, heavy floor jack, I used the LR4 emergency jack and "capped" it with an inverted oil-filter socket. You can kind of see the top of it in the photo above. It's easy to manipulate and raise/lower by hand while you're under the vehicle.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The bolts they supply weren't really long enough to make that work for me while simultaneously using the washer configuration they recommended. I wound up not using the lock-washers and just used the regular washers. The other option would be to go get some longer bolts.

Get proper bolts if you need to or at least use nylock nuts if you can use the lock washers. Lowes had a good assortment of hardware if you don't have access to a proper source. For up front like that stainless steel is nice but them also use SS washers, nuts, etc.

Speaking of ASFIR...

I just fitted this after about 20 modifying bends and 10 or more testvtrips under the vehicle. 26 lbs of 5/16 steel and I just held it up to clamp in place each time for markings. Good workout ;)

IMG_9113.JPG

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sump guard is in.

The gear guard, however, has some problems. Anyone else installed one of these?

Post #57 in this thread shows one of the issues. The upward bevel on the passenger side of the gear guard comes into contact with what I assume is a catalytic converter. After trying to bend it flat proved unsuccessful, I used a jigsaw to try and cut away the offending portion of the skid.

But another problem is that the exhaust in that part has a bracket welded onto it, with a solid rubber cylinder bolted to that bracket. I can only guess that this hunk of rubber is meant to attenuate any vibration in the exhaust, and the rubber itself is easy enough to unbolt. The metal bracket is welded to the exhaust, however, and interferes with the skid plate being able to mount. I couldn't even get the skid plate close to where it is mounted in post #57.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences? The only solution may be to cut off that bracket, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwest, Ryan, I’ve been having exactly the same kind of problems with my Asfir skids. The front one was no good at all, I’m attaching pics of what it looked like after the first serious trail… So I had a LR-brand one installed, 1 cm of steel and I am happy with that. Do they not offer it in the US? Fits great and has a hole where it matters:). But it does not form a smooth surface with the Asfir gear skid, which is actually lower. There is a gap between them, too. Does not look nice AND dirt gathers there. Finally, the rear diff skid, while solid, was giving awful vibrations, had to have it removed. I doubt the Dynamat solution someone suggested earlier would work in this case, would it? If not, then what would? I am clueless and I would like to have it reinstalled for the summer. Although some people say it is not really necessary, coz if the front of the car passes, then so will the rear. Maybe they are right but this thing costs $$$, so I would feel safer having it covered...

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwest, Ryan, I’ve been having exactly the same kind of problems with my Asfir skids. ... Finally, the rear diff skid, while solid, was giving awful vibrations, had to have it removed. I doubt the Dynamat solution someone suggested earlier would work in this case, would it? If not, then what would? I am clueless and I would like to have it reinstalled for the summer. Although some people say it is not really necessary, coz if the front of the car passes, then so will the rear. Maybe they are right but this thing costs $$$, so I would feel safer having it covered...

I've not had any problems with any of my skid plates. They are all AL Rasta except the rear diff which is steel. The ASFIR rear diff skid has not vibrated at all - but I installed it and I upgraded some of the hardwear and how it mounts. I also torqued all the grade 8 bolts to spec. I took great care to eliminate any tight spots where vibrations could occur even after the exhaust heats up. My pipes are a lot larger than yours, the gap yours has between pipe and plate is huge compared to mine and I had to add space.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut