LR4 largest Tire size with lift on 18" Compomotives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
I'm worried about getting crap from everyone about another tire post. But can't find very good details online about anyone running a larger tire than a 275/65 R18 (32.1 x 11) on a lifted LR4.

Has anyone run the next size larger 285/65 R18 (32.5 x 11.6) on your LR4?

I currently run a 275/65 R18 BFG AT. They need to be replaced and in a week or two Toyo is coming out with a tire called Open Country RT. It will be a hybrid between a MT and AT tire similar to the Goodyear Duratrack. The RT smallest size is the 285/65 R18. I would like to try them if they will fit with rods or gap tool on full time and front end aligned.

Im currently using the GAP tool for a 2 inch lift and have cut the fenders enough that I can even run the 275/65 R18's with no Gap tool lift and never rub on pavement in normal height. And never rub off road with the 2 inch lift from the Gap tool in normal or off road height even when flexed out. So thinking I might be able to squeeze the next size bigger in.

But I have also read online that BFG's run smaller than they advertise so maybe that's why I don't rub now?

Thoughts???

Thanks,

Jud

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are going to have more of a problem with the width (285) on a tire that tall.

Hopefully you find the info you are looking for. I haven't heard of anyone on these forums running a 285/65. I have rubbing at stock height on my 285/60 (31.46 inch) at full lock. You are talking about adding another full inch on top of that and on a pretty wide footprint. (Another half inch more height than your current setup)

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your issue is the tire width and height. I run 275/55r20 with is about 1/2 inch smaller and nearly the same in width. I get rubbing at full lock on the wheel well plastic. I'm not using the Compos but a hybrid approach of spacers and Rangie rims which makes my stance wider to accommodate the backspacing. I just don't see how that size would work any closer in.

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently run 265/70r18 on my LR3 using Johnson Rods installed full time. The passanger side front tire rubs when turning. Usually between 3/4 and full lock. This can be annoying while driving on a windy road. It also rubs in the back while in Access Mode. I mention this because I have to lower the vehicle to get into parking garages. My next set of tires will be smaller. It's not worth the extra .5" to me. Here's a link with some pictures.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25078

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's I think I am going to keep the same size (275/65 R18) and not push the limits and regret it. Going a little more aggressive Tire this time with the Goodyear Duratrack. I will let you all know how it does.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's I think I am going to keep the same size (275/65 R18) and not push the limits and regret it. Going a little more aggressive Tire this time with the Goodyear Duratrack. I will let you all know how it does.

I've been loving my DuraTrac tires. Went off-roading yesterday in Red River, NM, mostly dry but they performed great on rocks and in mud too.

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
I ended up buying the Goodyear Duratracks in a 275/65 R18. They are a little bit louder than the BFG AT's that I had on before but not too much louder. The noise is barely noticeable because I have the full Magnaflow exhaust. I'm really glad I didn't go any larger. It would would rub pretty bad with a larger tire even with a Gap Tool or Johnson Rod lift. With all the talk of tires I am now fairly certain the 275/65 R18 is the best size tire for a lifted LR4. I will post back after I get to use the Duratracks off road. They are supposed to be very good in the snow and thats why I choose them over other AT and MT tires.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying the Goodyear Duratracks in a 275/65 R18. They are a little bit louder than the BFG AT's that I had on before but not too much louder. The noise is barely noticeable because I have the full Magnaflow exhaust. I'm really glad I didn't go any larger. It would would rub pretty bad with a larger tire even with a Gap Tool or Johnson Rod lift. With all the talk of tires I am now fairly certain the 275/65 R18 is the best size tire for a lifted LR4. I will post back after I get to use the Duratracks off road. They are supposed to be very good in the snow and thats why I choose them over other AT and MT tires.
A guy in my rover club has them on his LR3 and they look/perform great!

For now I am sticking with my BFGs (they are newer), but the Duratrecs are on my mind in case my situation/terrain changes (ie, I move to the east cost).

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...With all the talk of tires I am now fairly certain the 275/65 R18 is the best size tire for a lifted LR4... QUOTE]

Actually, for an lr3/4 with just the wheel wells modified, the best largest tire size is narrower than 275/65x18 that you and I are running now. It is 265/70x18. Narrow enough to not cause trouble on full lock turns, narrower also helps with clearance behind the top of front tires and upper control arm flange.

This spot while seemingly fine at normal height with approximately 5/8" on lr3 factory 18", reduces to almost no gap at full droop of front wheels. This is due to how the geometry changes during articulation - the wheels actually pull in tighter to the vehicle the farther they drop.

The 275/65x18 we are both currently using is basically fine at most turns and articulations but I imagine that with your aftermarket 18" sitting out just a bit more, they will actually rub in turns more than mine which are tucked in more.

Our tire is about 32" while the new BFG ko2 in 265/70x18 will be just over 32.5" I'll take another 1/4" but it would also cut into how snug I can currently drop the vehicle for garage parking. The current 32" already snugs right into the fender liner rubbing as it crawls through parking garage if at lowest setting.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...With all the talk of tires I am now fairly certain the 275/65 R18 is the best size tire for a lifted LR4... QUOTE]

Actually, for an lr3/4 with just the wheel wells modified, the best largest tire size is narrower than 275/65x18 that you and I are running now. It is 265/70x18. Narrow enough to not cause trouble on full lock turns, narrower also helps with clearance behind the top of front tires and upper control arm flange.

This spot while seemingly fine at normal height with approximately 5/8" on lr3 factory 18", reduces to almost no gap at full droop of front wheels. This is due to how the geometry changes during articulation - the wheels actually pull in tighter to the vehicle the farther they drop.

The 275/65x18 we are both currently using is basically fine at most turns and articulations but I imagine that with your aftermarket 18" sitting out just a bit more, they will actually rub in turns more than mine which are tucked in more.

Our tire is about 32" while the new BFG ko2 in 265/70x18 will be just over 32.5" I'll take another 1/4" but it would also cut into how snug I can currently drop the vehicle for garage parking. The current 32" already snugs right into the fender liner rubbing as it crawls through parking garage if at lowest setting.

Apologize to bump an old thread here... I was running a 285/60/18 Terra Grappler on my LR3 without aftermarket rods and had zero issues. Im pretty sure I got all 4 corners to full lock and never rubbed. I did however move the sensor cable in the front drivers side wheel well to be safe.

What are the significant changes on an LR4 that would not allow this? I keep reading things about frame changes etc... any pictures or comparison?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut