Future LR Models in US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be so worried about puncturing that tank. Yikes! Build looks nice though.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like it hangs even a bit lower than a spare tire, although I am sure they designed it to provide the same departure angle, and if it's made in Australia you know it can take a beating and keep on ticking.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing particularly involved as to be called "fabricated" but the vertical arm that actually holds the tire mount can be cut and moved over, rewelded of course. This totally "revealed" the right lamps. I think we moved it roughly 6" or so.

Then I also did have a 2" receiver fabricated for purpose of mounting a bike rack.
Thanks, jwest!

I appreciate your input. As I mentioned on another thread, I ordered the last Kaymar rear bumper today from Ben at Outback Proven. Unfortunately, it was the LHS kit, but that's fine because I was going to have a friend of mine in the LR club create a RHS tire carrier for me - he does an amazing job! So, I don't think I will use the LHS kit. I know this bumper will have a LHS spindle, that's fine in case I add something later.

I am curious as to what mud flaps I should get - I know you need them with the US LR4 - are they just regular LR4 OEM rear flaps? Also, I think I remember reading about condensation building up in the LED lights on the bumper?

Thanks so much!!!

Regards, David

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED: I don't think I've ever seen any in mine and it's been on there since 2007 / 93,000 miles in all sorts of weather It has also spent most of it's time in the PNW area.

LHS: I assume you mean left tire carrier? Interesting. Aesthetically, and functionally in right lane driving, that is where it SHOULD be. You should consider trying out the tire on left carrier seeing as you have it.

Think about it for a minute: In the US we drive on the right and thus sit on the left. When I want to back up, and look over my shoulder (which is much more natural to me if the view isn't blocked by cargo), I have to look "through" my spare wheel for how close a car may be while parking. You would have a nice clear line of sight.

Mud flaps: Yes, OEM work perfectly fine in the rear and are more or less required to fill the gap. This is crap design in my opinion and should instead be designed with the metal extending further with basic generic flat rubber flaps similar to what a Defender or Land Cruiser would have in harsh environments. This solution would also be easily and cheaply replaceable.

Anyway, you won't need the front flaps or be able to use them with most slider designs. The rear mud guards (they really aren't at all like a "flap" but rather a 3D molded catch bowl) will be a little tight if you ever run 32" + tires but they work fine and look oem of course.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED: I don't think I've ever seen any in mine and it's been on there since 2007 / 93,000 miles in all sorts of weather It has also spent most of it's time in the PNW area.

LHS: I assume you mean left tire carrier? Interesting. Aesthetically, and functionally in right lane driving, that is where it SHOULD be. You should consider trying out the tire on left carrier seeing as you have it.

Think about it for a minute: In the US we drive on the right and thus sit on the left. When I want to back up, and look over my shoulder (which is much more natural to me if the view isn't blocked by cargo), I have to look "through" my spare wheel for how close a car may be while parking. You would have a nice clear line of sight.

Mud flaps: Yes, OEM work perfectly fine in the rear and are more or less required to fill the gap. This is crap design in my opinion and should instead be designed with the metal extending further with basic generic flat rubber flaps similar to what a Defender or Land Cruiser would have in harsh environments. This solution would also be easily and cheaply replaceable.

Anyway, you won't need the front flaps or be able to use them with most slider designs. The rear mud guards (they really aren't at all like a "flap" but rather a 3D molded catch bowl) will be a little tight if you ever run 32" + tires but they work fine and look oem of course.
Hey jwest,

Thank you for the response. Yes, LHS = left-hand side, sorry for the confusion. I actually sold my left-hand side carrier to a friend of mine in the club who has the right-hand side, but wants both of them to carry tires as needed. I am going to have my other friend build me a right-hand side swing-away for my tire, he is the one that helped me install my ARB front bumper and built an amazing rear bumper and dual swing-away for another club member's LR3. This way I can get my tire carrier a bit more to the middle and not block the passenger tail light.

I agree that the left-hand tire carrier is probably the best place for it, but I just don't like it. I know I can relocate my license plate and light, as well as the rear back-up camera, but I just would prefer the carrier in the same location as the Discovery 1+2. Maybe I can give it a try again, but did a lot of testing on my friend's LR3.

Thanks for the input on the mud flaps, I just ordered a set of OEM rear flaps - not getting the front flaps.

This weekend is our Land Rover club's annual event, and then my friend is installing the other guy's Kaymar rear bumper and a bunch of other stuff (including the long-range fuel tank) over the course of next week, and then I am next.

I am pretty sure the Kaymar will be easier to install than my darn ARB front bumper (I hope!!!). :)

I will keep you posted and may send you a message.

Regards, David

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing about installing the Kaymar is technically or even physically all that difficult. The trickiest thing is fishing the bolts through the frame using the included bolt-welded-to-wire.
Once these bolts are in place, it's easy to install, check gaps, remove, replace, all by yourself.

Other people have debated the left / right tire carrier issue from various perspectives. While I can appreciate you wanting to carry over the right hand aesthetic of the tire location, it was specifically done that way before because of the right hand driver location in UK. The tire location was in conjunction with the rear window shape being lower on the left as well for better reversing sight lines. This also rather elegantly opens the door to the street side for safer access to the cargo area - in the UK where you'd park on the left side of road, etc.

In the US, placing the tire on the right is all sorts of stupid. Yes, I can say this because mine is there too, by default, and it IS stupid. Not only is it aesthetically disconnected considering how the rear window now drops on the right, but it is also impractical for roadside/curbside access where people drive/park on the right.

The ONLY good thing about my set up and anyone using the LH jerry can and RH tire is that opening only the tire allows you to then open the upper hatch. The handle just clears the jerry can.

Doing it all over again I would most definitely put the tire on the left especially if I only had the one carrier.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I see updates to this thread and I think there must be new rumors, leaks and press releases on the LR5! Nope... still people talking about gas tanks and jerry cans... :laugh: ;)

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I see updates to this thread and I think there must be new rumors, leaks and press releases on the LR5! Nope... still people talking about gas tanks and jerry cans... :laugh: ;)

The only thing I've seen referenced in articles and even statements from Gerry McGovern is that the next-gen Disco will be competing more directly with the X5 and ML 350. :puke:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I've seen referenced in articles and even statements from Gerry McGovern is that the next-gen Disco will be competing more directly with the X5 and ML 350. :puke:

That would make absolutely zero sense. Isn't that what the RRS is for?

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the new discovery sport gooding up against the x3 and the 350 from Mercedes and the LR4 against the x5 and 450? RRS is the weird looking child that don't fit in since the range rover is the cream of the cream of land rover

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi