Asfir 4x4 sump guard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it. Looking forward to seeing how it works out. thx

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested to see it on. I bought the devon 4x4 skids, front and center and the asfir compresssor skid.

The Devon skid isn't designed for the V8 D4 particularly where the center cross member and exhaust are located. So I've had to modify it it extensively with a grinder. Kind of a shame.

Umber, before you mount these, I would recommend adding some dynamat extreme deadening material to the top of the plate. Mine when first mounted cavitated on acceleration no matter how tight everything was. The dynamat added a buffer at the mounts and seemed to address any vibration.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, I was wondering what the strip of Neoprene applied to the top edges of the front plate was for... Thanks for the tip.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed. It really was not very difficult, even by myself and without instructions from Asfir. After removing the tow eye cover on the front bumper and the oil pan plate (BTW, the pan's drain plug is still there on my 2013), I used a floor jack to position the larger skid plate close to the chassis, raised the car to super extended height to give myself some elbow room, opened a door, put a couple of jack stands in place just-in-case and disappeared under the car for an hour or so with my toolbox. Once you figure out which bolts go where, it's an easy gig.

I am glad I got the guards powder coated in matte black, they look very inconspicuous, hard to tell they are even there unless you are looking for them. While I was down there I also removed those silly flaps / spoiler thingies in front of each front wheel (even though the Asfir guard has built-in cutouts for them), as I recall they got damaged and lost almost right away when I started wheeling my Sport. And you are right NASdiesel, even the Asfir plate leaves a small gap between bumper cover and front edge of the guard after it's mounted, so that strip of neoprene that Asfir applied there will likely serve to address possible vibrations at speed, or to soften the blow against the plastic bumper if I do hit a rock hard enough.

Time to hit... the shower. :biggrin: Will post some photos soon.

Last edited:

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also thinking about powdercoating the plates to black but if you get scratches, wouldn't the silver show through and creating a pretty messy look?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it would, but it would have to be quite a hit as powder coating is tough, it doesn't chip or scratch very easily and, unlike paint, it's flexible. Having said that, if you are not going for the "Black Pack" look like me, an unfinished aluminum skid plate may actually look pretty cool, especially if you have other silver bits on the car (wheels, grills / vents, etc.)

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the black pack ordered on the new truck...i think i will leave it unpainted for now and see how it'll look. Glad to know the fitment is good on the asfirs!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the black pack ordered on the new truck...i think i will leave it unpainted for now and see how it'll look. Glad to know the fitment is good on the asfirs!
Hey LR4TQ,

I have the unpainted silver sump guard on my LR4 (see pictures in the off-roading thread) and it looks good. I do not have a 2013, but I did create the black pack with my LR4 (wheels, grill, side vents, etc.).

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had to friggin' rain today... :mad: Anyway, here's a couple of shots of the guard on.

asfir1.jpg

asfir2.jpg

asfir3.jpg

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto,

very very nice. who is your local ashir dealer? I like the black powdercoat...initially i thought I wouldn't...but i was wrong! Rubber looks fine as well...ok, need to stop drooling and eat something....

Any clue on how i would find someone in my area, carlsbad, to do the coating?

chris

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi