Future LR Models in US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trekker

Reaction score
The Discovery Vision concept was universally DISLIKED by my focus group. You have all seen the auto show shots of the concept at this point and will have your own opinions, but it felt good to actually express our concerns with LR marketing types. Everyone felt that it was too much like a Ford Explorer, that it lost the iconic styling, and that it lost usability (clearance, no tailgate, poor visibility, laughable off road tires (50 series?)). It was basically a Range Rover Sport, with out what makes a Range Rover Sport cool. Basically it would be a shame to call it the Discovery 5/ LR5. We even joked that it should maybe be called the "Revoque".

I hope LR will take your group's advice and **** off the Discovery Vision. I own both a LR4 and an Evoque and I like them both for different reasons. I certainly don't want my LR4 any softer or less utilitarian than it already is. How does one get invited to a LR focus group?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope LR will take your group's advice and **** off the Discovery Vision. I own both a LR4 and an Evoque and I like them both for different reasons. I certainly don't want my LR4 any softer or less utilitarian than it already is. How does one get invited to a LR focus group?

The issue is, the LR3 was released in 2005 (and to non-LR owners the only difference in the LR4 is painted fenders...I know, there's more to it). So, they are dealing with a decade old design. They need to change it.

It'd be nice if they figured out a way to modernize and improve, though, while still keeping the core utilitarian concept that has driven folks to the Discovery/LR3/LR4 line offered in NA.

I think they are re-targeting the Defender for the N.A. utilitarian market. If they do a good job, I guess that's okay. A good job would be bringing it over with the Diesel engine option! ;)

Thanks for the continued info, Triumph! The LR3/LR4 is a great platform and I hope they figure out a way to bring that core value forward into a next generation vehicle.

Triumph

Reaction score

I just got called out of the blue by a third party market research firm. I think it was a combination of where I live (Colorado) since about half the participants were from Colorado and that I was an owner of a 2013 LR4.

Triumph

Reaction score
The issue is, the LR3 was released in 2005 (and to non-LR owners the only difference in the LR4 is painted fenders...I know, there's more to it). So, they are dealing with a decade old design. They need to change it.

It'd be nice if they figured out a way to modernize and improve, though, while still keeping the core utilitarian concept that has driven folks to the Discovery/LR3/LR4 line offered in NA.

I think they are re-targeting the Defender for the N.A. utilitarian market. If they do a good job, I guess that's okay. A good job would be bringing it over with the Diesel engine option! ;)

Thanks for the continued info, Triumph! The LR3/LR4 is a great platform and I hope they figure out a way to bring that core value forward into a next generation vehicle.

Toddjbb, I totally agree with you. It felt like the Discovery Vision would be the "sport" in the Land Rover brand and the Defender would be the utilitarian (with a swanky interior) option. Our group felt the Defender concepts were closer in spirit to the Discovery heritage. Oh, and they asked quite a few questions on diesel options. It seemed that diesel was definitely on the table.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that the 2 door Defender was awesome, our group said having an optional removable top or soft top would be a great feature (the one we say appeared to have a fixed hardtop). If a rag top Defender 90 like the one I saw came to the states I would find a way to fit car seats in it. :smile:

If/when I get a second vehicle for myself I'd be looking at a 2 door low end wrangler, the low tech, removable doors and top are appealing to me in a luddite way. If a Defender in similar features was available I'd certainly look at it.

Trekker

Reaction score
Oh, and they asked quite a few questions on diesel options. It seemed that diesel was definitely on the table.

It's about damn time! I would jump at the chance to own a diesel Discovery or Defender. Since petrol is relatively cheap here in the US compared to the EU, diesel hasn't really caught on over here. And there's the negative perception of diesel here in the US. It doesn't help when you have idiots with their PowerStroke and Cummins straight-stack pickup trucks "rolling coal" when they pass a Prius. :hmpf:

Triumph

Reaction score
It's about damn time! I would jump at the chance to own a diesel Discovery or Defender. Since petrol is relatively cheap here in the US compared to the EU, diesel hasn't really caught on over here. And there's the negative perception of diesel here in the US. It doesn't help when you have idiots with their PowerStroke and Cummins straight-stack pickup trucks "rolling coal" when they pass a Prius. :hmpf:

:biggrin: "Rolling Coal", I had never heard that, I love it. I just shake my head at those idiots. I am not at all against anyone's right to burn whatever fuel and whatever amount they want (be that in a Prius or a Powerstroke), but do they have to be so antagonistic about it? I saw a guy the other day intentionally revving and up-shifting, revving and up-shifting to create a huge cloud on the interstate with a Prius right behind him. I was on my motorcycle and almost choked.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got called out of the blue by a third party market research firm. I think it was a combination of where I live (Colorado) since about half the participants were from Colorado and that I was an owner of a 2013 LR4.

Hi Triumph, I am very much interested in being part of the focus group. Do you remember the name of the market research firm and/or have their contact info by any chance? You could pm me if you'd like.

Thanks.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your favorite "hand tools" to bring off roading in your LR4?

Ignore. Didn't realize where I was. Will post as a thread.

Last edited:

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovery concept. Dislike is absolutely correct!!! This thing looks like a Ford Explorer and a pavement queen. This is an absolute joke, does not look like you can add any aftermarket upgrades of any sort or modify it in anyway to improve it. There are huge dollars lost not being able to make your vehicle unique. For those of us who actually use our "Disco's" (LR3, LR4) it's the end of the road if they move forward in this direction. When compared to the Rubicon it fails and that is the dominating vehicle here. They needed to target Jeep and Toyota, and beat them. They can't keep the Rubicon in the lot, that shouts something. For me I'll drive the LR3 for a while more and pick up a vintage Disco. I am done with the "New" Land Rover. Ford saw the future and sold Land Rover they even made vast improvements. There is such a small market share here in the US and now it will get even smaller. Maybe they can have another spice girl design the new LR.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA