Non LR dealer brake job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 24,000 miles on my 2013 LR4 and need front and rear brakes pads rotors. LR dealer estimate cost of nearly $2,000.

I called three independent brake shops that est job for $700.

Is there really a problem doing this? I called LR and it does not void any warranty at all.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem, brakes for the Sport aren't different than any other cars. Only concern would be the adjustment of the park brake shoes, necessary if they will be replacing the rear discs, but if these are LR indy shops they should know the procedure. Are they using OEM part, though? $700 sounds like a great price for genuine parts, less so if they use cheap aftermarket rotors or pads.

Last edited:

gmag24

Reaction score
I'm actually in the exact same boat, unfortunately, I'm only 12,000 miles into my LR4 and already hear some squealing from the brakes. I haven't had them checked, but is it normal only 12k in to have the brake pads changed? I live in Los Angeles and I'm sure the traffic really makes a difference and I get that there's the weight of the car, but man, 12k in and a change seems a bit fast. I too, Cypress, plan on going outside of dealership for the change. Too pricey for 1 year of use.... DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS IN THE LA AREA FOR BRAKE SERVICE? PREFERABLY IN THE WEST LA AREA, CLOSER TO SANTA MONICA/BRENTWOOD

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would an independent brake shop know how to do this park brake shoe adjustment correctly?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are not Land Rover techs, it's unlikely they would know the procedure, which is fairly exacting.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say drop it off and a YouTube video on how to do them. Just did my bushings on my LR4 and the dealer gave me the wrong bushings so sometimes even they get it wrong. If I can do the job I rather do it myself. Before I got the LR4 I knew I had to learn how to do my own breaks can't justify 1800 for a break job.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At $700, I'd be wary as to whether the independent shop is using OEM pads and rotors. I had one brake job done on my LR4 at an independent shop to save money, and although they assured me they were using OEM parts, it turned out not to be the case (and I ended up overpaying for cheaper parts in the process and replacing them before the were worn due to vibration and squeaking). Lesson learned - now I buy my OEM parts at one of the local dealers (whoever has some sort of coupon for parts), and I bring them to a local shop to install them. Doing it that way cost me about $800 for the parts (F/R pads, rotors and sensors), and about $200 for the local shop to swap them out. Still $700-$1000 cheaper than the dealer's quote, though.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually in the exact same boat, unfortunately, I'm only 12,000 miles into my LR4 and already hear some squealing from the brakes. I haven't had them checked, but is it normal only 12k in to have the brake pads changed?...

In a vehichle this heavy, driving style and conditions are going to play a huge role. That said, I had my rear pads done around 10k and just did my front pads last week at 18k. It's not unheard of.

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
My LR4 just gave me the Brake Pad warning on the dash today. I have 40,000 miles on mine and the previous owner already replaced them. I love my LR4 but thats ridicules on the brakes. My 2011 Dodge Mega Cab has 80,000 miles and my wives 2010 GMC Denali has 85,000 miles and both are still on original brake pads. We live in Utah. So its not stop and go traffic but we do lots of city driving.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got over 60,000 on my rotors..... it's no sports car so there's no reason to go so fast in traffic or in areas with continual traffic lights as to be slamming the brakes all the time.

Not all non-oem parts are bad. In fact some are just as good or better.

Check out Atlantic British for some examples on the parts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut