Engine idle high when the AC is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DXBLR4

Reaction score
Hey guys my name's Chris and I just bought a pre owned 2013 LR4 HSE Lux.

The slight issue I'm facing (not sure if it's even an issue which is why I'm asking) is that when I switch on the AC, engine idle goes from the normal of about 600rpm to somewhere between 1000 and 1200rpm when the car is in neutral.

When the car is in gear the rpms drop to about 800 or a little bit above that and what's annoying is that you really have to keep your foot planted on the brake in order to prevent the car from moving (as opposed to just having to "touch" the brake pedal to keep the car at a standstill when it's idling at the normal 600rpm when the AC is off).

I wonder if this is a problem with my car or if it is something common that can be seen on all cars.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had something similar happened on my first car a Nissan sentra 02 they did replace the computer, throttle body and some oxigen injectors to fix it. Hey its under warranty just it in.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think this is normal. my 2010 lr4 does this. I notice it more on hotter days when the a/c is set to auto and trying to cool my lr4 inside cabin down. I notice once the inside cools down the vehicle idles as if the a/c is not on. I think it is just trying to run the a/c compressor faster to cool the inside better.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, more RPMs spin the compressor faster to cool the temperature quicker. You see it drop down when you put it in gear because the rpm are then limited by the gear engagement and your accelleration.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine, too. I am accustomed to it now. I asked my service rep at the dealership and said it is normal. Something to do with the heavy duty fans and AC all putting a load on the engine when it first starts up. (I am sure my paraphrase of his explanation is not 100% accurate. But it made sense.)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does too and was told it's completely normal - same as Dan ^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV