Gear shift knob heats up too much

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

david_h

Reaction score
A friend of mine is complaining that his 2013 LR4'S gear shift knob heats up too much on occasions. any idea what might be the reason?

He says that it has occurred on rainy days and when he has used the steering shift paddles.

after he has done driving, he turns the engine off, and goes for a cup coffee or what have you; he then returns to his car, turns the engine on and when the shifting gear knob is deployed for use, is way to hot to handle.

For a moment I thought that he was driving with the parking brake on, but he says it is not the case.

Jokingly I said: maybe it is not the car, maybe it is your hand that got too hot of holding the cup of coffee.

Any clues about this problem will be appreciated.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 or 2014? My 2014 has a "knob" but I have always thought of the previous models as having a "stick". The knob on my '14 does not heat up unless it is sitting in the sun.

david_h

Reaction score
According to all documentation onboard, it's a 2013 LR4, Diesel; it also a "Knob" version.

And Yep, probably it is something wrong my friend is doing while driving; not sure if he is waiting to long to shift gears manually with the steering shift levers.

I think he is trying to drive it as a fast, sport car; I've told him many times, the LR4 was not designed for racing.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how hard you can really race a diesel engined LR4... But you are right, Disco4s with SDV6 engines have been equipped with the gear knob we first saw on MY2014 SCV6 for at least a couple of years in Europe and wherever else diesels are sold (just about everywhere but North America, unfortunately.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut