2013 LR4 new owner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All!
OK so as some of you have seen, we just got a 2013 LR4 HSE LUX, everything but HD and vision package. So after a week of ownership I have a few questions that I either can't find an answer to via this forum or I am still confused. I have already ordered the GAP tool so if that is required let me know.

1. Satellite radio display: My wife (this is her DD so we have to make all this work so she will keep it) wants to see the name of the song being played while listening to Sirius. I have read that pushing the rotary knob on the bottom right of the TFT twice will accomplish this. In practice, all this does is change the mode (which is what the button says and the knob itself is not pushable). What am I missing?

2. Fuel range: so as I have read, the range is pretty dismal for around town driving (which is mostly what she does). She is not thrilled about getting gas 2 times or more a week. I have looked at the aux tank options (frontrunner and long ranger). Price seems like it would be about $3000-$3500 to buy, ship, install. That is OK for us (she likes the car but doesn't like the range and if we keep it for a few years it will become my of road family camper so range will again be an issue). I have seen at least 2 members of this board with the extra tanks. Any issues, benefits, ease of use etc that you share with me? I know we will lose the spare tire and the plan would be for AAA service until a viable spare tire option is found. currently can not have a swing out tire carrier as it won't fit in the garage and allow for the tailgate to open (we back her car in, crazy driveway set up, this works best).

3. Split screen display: Can you see nav and audio at the same time? My wife had an X5 and liked this feature (see question 1 where she wants to know the song title).

That's it for now. So far I have already learned a ton from this site so thanks to everyone in advance.

Chris

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Push the "i" info button in the middle of the touchscreen to superimpose a window that will display artist name and song title when listening to SiriusXM. Unfortunately there is no way to display this info elsewhere (such as in the instrument cluster, which would have been nice.) By the way, TFT - thin-film transistor - is the LCD sandwiched between tach and speedo gauges in the instrument cluster that shows fuel level, engine temperature, messages and settings along with some redundant infotainment info. The center touchscreen is often referred to as TSD for touch screen display.

2. Geez, how much does she drive around town on a given week? The fuel range is not the greatest but is not THAT bad, either. Even at its lousiest advertised mileage, you will still squeeze about 200 miles of miserable, stop-n-go city driving per fill-up, 250+ if at least some of those miles are on a highway. That's a lot of city driving. I fill up twice a week, but put about 2500/3000 miles a month on my LR4, way more than your average city dweller. Adding an auxiliary fuel tank to save her a weekly visit at a gas station seems a bit extreme, no? Cost considerations aside, what is AAA going to do if she has a flat tire and no spare with her because it's been evicted by the giant fuel tank? You think she doesn't enjoy stopping at a gas station a few times a month, wait until she has a flat tire, no spare, and the burly AAA guy's best offer is to tow her to Billy-Bob Grease Monkeys in a really seedy part of town... :help:

3. Not possible with the current LR4 entertainment system, although you will have some rudimentary turn directions from the navigation system displayed in the TFT screen of the instrument cluster while in guidance mode, plus the voice prompts over the speakers of course, regardless of what the touchscreen is displaying. Vice-versa, you can have the nav map showing on the touchscreen and some limited audio input info (radio station frequency, Sirius station name, iPod song title, etc.) displayed in the TFT at the same time.

Split screens, song names and a fuel sipper... Are you sure your wife is Land Rover material? :wink:

Last edited:

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!! I had a feeling that was going to be how my questions were answered. As for the MPG's. It is only our first week, i didn't realize she went on a 120 mile round trip excursion, and tonight I was following her on the freeway and she was driving it like she stole it! Her last car was the twin turbo V8 BMW X5. I will have to teach her better driving habits with the LR4 or she will be at the gas station 2 times a week.

As for the extended tank, currently I go on multi-day excursions with NCLR and enjoy my Tdi and its range but definitely see the benefit (and problems) with the aux tank. The spare will eventually live on the roof or swing away carrier. Just bought a 19in full size to replace the donut. So maybe in the future an aux tank instead of jerry cans, we will see.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spare will eventually live on the roof.

That will introduce a whole new series of problems for her. Limited overhead clearance of parking structures at the mall are the first ones to spring to mind. :biggrin: But yeah, overlanding in the boonies with the LR4 can be a challenge without some extra fuel stashed somewhere. The new Sport has a larger (27 gal) fuel tank and uses less gas, so there is hope for the upcoming, next generation Disco.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will introduce a whole new series of problems for her. Limited overhead clearance of parking structures at the mall are the first ones to spring to mind. :biggrin:

Agree- stay away from putting stuff on the roof unless you are only off-roading. Not only to avoid the situations mentioned above but your mileage will suck even more, not to mention the new noises your will hear at highway speeds.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No my wife isn't exactly LR material. She puts up with my obsession ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411656542.407681.jpg

As she didn't really care what she got and knew I would be happy with another LR that will eventually be the family camper. That's one of the many reasons she is amazing wife material!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Are you going to be at the Annual next weekend? If so, I will be there with my LR4.

I get about 250 miles to a fill up and that's with all my extra weight. I do have my spare tire on the roof, but I don't care much about access to a garage or gas mileage.

I hope you guys are enjoying the LR4 so far and hope to see you in a couple weeks!

Regards, David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree- stay away from putting stuff on the roof unless you are only off-roading. Not only to avoid the situations mentioned above but your mileage will suck even more, not to mention the new noises your will hear at highway speeds.
I love the sound of a helicopter hovering over my rover!!! :) HAHAHA!

I have a lot of crap on the roof (including my spare tire), but I don't care much about gas mileage or noises.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey David! Yes I will be at the annual but in the CT. My wife enjoyed a drive down to riverside today in the LR4. MPGs were 18 so she was happy. Now we are dealing with the headrest is too far forward, starting to hurt her neck. As the headrest only goes up/down we are trying to think out of the box, like using a headrest from another car that fits and just get it covered in matching leather

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the sound of a helicopter hovering over my rover!!! :) HAHAHA!

I have a lot of crap on the roof (including my spare tire), but I don't care much about gas mileage or noises.

Hey we only buzzed you once in the heli!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick