Got wheels! Need tires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand your frustration.
However since you can LR3 rims for so little money why don't you go that route.
Also if you're down I'd be willing to go in on 3 sets of Compos from eBay. You only pay one shipping. $3,500/2= $1,750...
If you're in Denver I'm only a few hours south in ABQ.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand your frustration.

However since you can LR3 rims for so little money why don't you go that route.

Also if you're down I'd be willing to go in on 3 sets of Compos from eBay. You only pay one shipping. $3,500/2= $1,750...

If you're in Denver I'm only a few hours south in ABQ.

Oh, if I was keeping my truck I had decided on the LR3 route. All the way. Where I live on the east coast the rocks can chew up alloy wheels and my OCD of my vehicle would have made me want to replace chewed up wheels too often.

But if you get them, post pictures because they look mighty nice!

josephp_lr

Reaction score
Hey Epic - thanks for that.

My Discount Tire rep was keen for me to try the ATX Artillery wheel - when we were trying to fit the Ravine wheel he was on the phone to an American Racing rep and they had him measure the barrel on the Ravine (the AX194 which rubbed slightly) and compared it to the Artillery which is supposedly an extra 1/2" bigger.

So I'm going to try that first ... or Compos. After 3 sidewall bubbles in 2 years I agree that for Colorado we need an 18. I have to admit I didn't think about a spacer - we only tried the wheel so I couldn't get a real sense of how far it stuck out. I might keep that in my back pocket as an idea should the Artillery option fail.

I'll update when we try the Artillery.

Joseph, not sure what you have decided but since these forums are here for peoples opinions I will throw out a couple thoughts:

1) I don't think the 19" Duratrac's are available in the US. Maybe things have changed but last I looked I couldn't find anything. But having these tires on one of my previous Jeeps they are a pretty good tire.

2) Have you looked at any of the other ATX models? I know there is one wheel that looks more like it would design wise fit the LR4 nicely but it has to be custom drilled for our bolt pattern.

3) If you have access to cheap Compo's then that is a good deal. I would go that route. I see you are in Colorado, I really wouldn't want to wheel with the 20" wheels out there. Only good thing is 20" tires are getting cheaper and OEM wheels are cheap to find on eBay.

4) If you go over to expedition portal and look up their LR4 build you will see that they had no issues by lightly grinding down the front calipers of the LR4. I think if you like the wheels you just tried to fit you could easily grind a small amount off the caliper and be just fine.

I think the best thing to do is to find an 18" wheel and put a meaty tire on it. Plus if you like the ATX wheel, how far did it stick out? Could you fit a spacer?

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, All. Did my first "Blue" run today. (Cascade Creek near Idaho Springs, CO.) Essentially 15 miles of LOTS of rock. Only had to be spotted through about 3-4 places. But the key is I used the new wheels and tires and they did great - as if I would know the difference. The cool thing was that I went with about a dozen other LR vehicles on a dealer-organized group run. I lots of kudos and a bit of envy regarding the wheels. Glad that I bought them from Expat93! And thanks for the encouragement to do so.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, All. Did my first "Blue" run today. (Cascade Creek near Idaho Springs, CO.) Essentially 15 miles of LOTS of rock. Only had to be spotted through about 3-4 places. But the key is I used the new wheels and tires and they did great - as if I would know the difference. The cool thing was that I went with about a dozen other LR vehicles on a dealer-organized group run. I lots of kudos and a bit of envy regarding the wheels. Glad that I bought them from Expat93! And thanks for the encouragement to do so.
Sorry, Dan... I read the previous post with the photos of your run and asked about the tires and it's answered here.

I told you that you would love the Compos - they really give it a great iconic look, and most importantly, very well made and functional.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut