First time Land Rover owner with crazy question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ALScott

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2011 LR4 HSE yesterday and I am thrilled. I have been driving trucks for 21 years and wanted a change. A buddy got an LR4 and I loved it, bye-bye 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited. Glad I did it but one thing I am going to miss is the "passive keyless entry." I keep going to the door and trying to open it and it was nice when my hands were full. I expect this to be a "no" but does anyone know if it's possible to add it now? Also I know the HSE didn't come standard with the upgraded stereo but I have the Logic 7 feature in the settings so does that mean the upgraded stereo was added? Prior owners just added trailer hitch and wiring a few months ago and saved me $1,098!!! Dealer went ahead and did the 60K service (it's got 55k on it), he just gave me a cargo cover he literally had lying under his desk and also the iPhone cable, which I picked up the adapter for today thanks to this forum and it works perfectly with my iPhone 5. It was purchased new at the same dealer and all service done there so I asked them to print out all service records which they did and nothing even approaching a major repair and no repeats!! They also have an off road club and are sending me info on the next outing.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one thing I am going to miss is the "passive keyless entry."

Amen, ALScott! I got my pre-owned 2011 LR4 HSE back in March (30K miles when I got it), on the day before my birthday. Prior to that I had also been driving Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram vehicles. I had the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and then got a good deal on a 2011 Chrysler 300C. Drove each for a bit before getting the itch to get back into a Rover (had leased an '07 RR HSE prior).

Both the Jeep and the Chrysler were loaded and the tech from the same model year (2011) ran circles around the LR's tech. Granted the LR HSE is not the ultimate trim package but I still missed some of the niceties such as true passive keyless entry, remote start, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, and even Bluetooth audio streaming and in-dash SD card for loading music.

I didn't realize until after I got it home that the LR4 didn't have passive keyless entry. I thought I had overlooked a setting or something. I then asked service techs at two different dealers and they clearly said that retrofitting it was just not feasible so I moved on.

That said, I knew going in that there would be some tradeoffs from what I had gotten used to but that the net-net was that I would be getting a vehicle that would give me tremendous upsides in terms of its other capabilities. And there's no beating the pride of ownership with a Land Rover, at least for me.

You did well to score the towing gear and the cargo cover. Enjoy your LR4!! I've been averaging 2K miles/month since I got it and I've got a couple of major road trips planned for the remainder of the summer. So comfortable on the open road, logging trails in WV and MD, or wherever I take it!

Chris

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can check TopiX and enter your VIN to see exact build specs of your 2011 to verify if your car was fitted with the upgraded 825W HK Logic 7 system (which it probably was, if that button appears on the touchscreen's audio settings. The speakers on the doors should also bear a Karman Kardon Logic 7 logo, and you should have a center channel speaker in the middle of the upper dash.) Registration is free. As mentioned above, although I am sure it would be possible to retrofit the passive keyless entry to a LR4 without it, it would likely be prohibitively expensive. You'll get used to pressing that unlock button again in no time. Congratulations and welcome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV