New member - considering LR4 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ I agree with everything above.

This is one question about the MY2014 - could someone do a hidden winch install or would the supercharger preclude that? I know someone with a SCV8 Range Rover Sport and he had to do an external winch tray because it was supercharged. Just curious.

As for the Land Rover winch tray, I saw it done on LR Experience vehicles fitted at my dealership and it is extremely expensive. They quoted almost $5,000 for the tray and winch - NOT including the installation. Yikes.

hayasa

Reaction score
This is one question about the MY2014 - could someone do a hidden winch install or would the supercharger preclude that? I know someone with a SCV8 Range Rover Sport and he had to do an external winch tray because it was supercharged.

Yes, I was thinking about this. I think the winch would be blocking the liquid intercooler and might make the car reduce boost to compensate. That, plus the cost is giving me second thoughts.

Also, why are people angry about the running boards? Seems like a nice convenience to getting in and out of the vehicle.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They'll get in the way and possibly be damaged when you go off-roading. They are indeed convenient, especially for shorter people (I normally bypass them and end up rubbing up the bottom edge of my pants against them...), and even look good in an "urban" environment, but they should not be force fed down our throats.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the first things that gets trashed when rock crawling which we do a lot of in CO (if you go off road.)

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the first things that gets trashed when rock crawling which we do a lot of in CO (if you go off road.)

Plus they stick out way too much on the sides. Try looking at them when you are standing right behind the truck. I have seen them a bunch of times on LR4s on the road and parked at the dealerships. I tend to park really close to the curb (only five six inches or less away) and I feel that I may hit the curb (if its or a portion of it is high enough) with these running boards. Just a bad design attribute IMHO. Look at the running boards on other vehicles like GX470 or 60 or LX570, they are so well integrated and their width is no more than the width of the vehicles themselves.

Its not just how far the running boards are from the ground, their width being wider than the car's body itself makes them more prone to hitting rocks/trail as your vehicle tilts on a side while performing evasive maneuvers.

Wish LR had done a better job of their integration into the body.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the trail run organized by my Land Rover dealer last Sunday they did not allow anyone to come who had running boards. It was rocky (Pics on the Show Off Your LR4 thread). BTW, I heard that they did do some damage to wheels including wheel damage on one of the vehicles they had on the lot which they used for the trail run. I also know there was someone with 20" wheels which was not a good idea for this type of trail.

Trekker

Reaction score
Regarding the winch I am sure opinions will vary. I am new to LR and to going off road so I wasn't sure what I might need. I spent a fair bit of time in a 4x4 shop yesterday (mostly Jeep people) and talked at length with a guy who has done heavy off road for 30 years. I told him we would do "light" off roading and he talked me out of a winch. He talked about how over the years he and his Jeeping buddies had loaded so much stuff and weight on their Jeeps that it was dragging on the engines to go up steep climbs. He has always had one but has only used it a couple of times. He said that most often they are used to pull someone else out of trouble. ;-) And he convinced me to go to a good hardware or farm supply store to get some chain and a "come along". He also talked me out of a high-lift jack and advised me to go with groups when doing more difficult trails as in that case there will always be someone with that gear. He said that over time I'll learn what I really need/prefer. Sage advice.

Of course opinions will vary. When you absolutely need a winch, there's no substitute. Jeeps, especially the older ones are light, so I'm sure a come-a-long works great. Winching allows you much finer control during vehicle recovery. Instead of chain, I would go with a quality tow strap. Chain is not only dangerous but often results in vehicle damage. I'm sure your Jeep buddy has tons of experience off-roading, but I would get advice from someone that has experience off roading your make/model. Guys at the local 4X4 shop probably look at a LR owner as someone ******* money and don't mind pulling his chain (no pun intended).

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To clarify: he was not opposed to winches and of course neither am I. His comments were in the context of me saying I would only be doing light off-roading. No "difficult" or "Red" runs. And that when I do the more difficult moderate runs I'll be with others who will have such equipment. As for the chain I have a winch strap/****** strap and shackles. The 2 ton come along and chain was in lieu of using a High Lift jack for pulling someone out of bring stuck. I am sure a lot of people go on trails where winches are absolutely needed. Or they come in handy when helping someone out of the snow. I plan to avoid situations where that would happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick