LR4 Camera System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear LR4 lovers,

Has anyone had the problem shown in my photo: “Camera System Fault”?

I have been having this problem intermittently for some time (~8 months); I believe it is basically a wiring harness issue (loose connection). I previously pulled out and cleaned everything in the rear camera assembly which solved the issue of the rear camera not working back in July. However, the issue arose again in September-October, at first occurring once-in-a-while and then later not working at all.

I have recently cleaned all the connections on the ECU under the driver’s seat; and today I cleaned all the cameras in the side-view mirrors (I have a separate post on the mirrors), but I am still having this issue—the cameras will not work. I assume that this fault happens when two or more cameras have a low voltage reading in the ECU. I have seen previously, when the camera's were dirty, simply a blue screen for the camera in question--but there was a signal. Now, nothing.

Difficulty with these systems where I live is the heat, dust, and corrosion. The low, dual-voltage (wave) for this camera system means it is not the most robust system in the truck and seems to be a bit finicky.

My next course of action is to clean the cameras (this includes the sockets) in the front bumper—but those may be a little trickier to get at. My truck is a 2010 LR4 HSE with full off-road package and everything but the in-car entertainment system.

If anyone with experience and insight could assist--it would be much appreciated!

Best wishes in 2013!
Land Rover Joe

Attachments

• Camera Fault Post.JPG
    Camera Fault Post.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 559

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a weird one. On my 2010 and sounds like we have similar trucks, the fault was simply little blue screens for each camera that was out. It took a while, but the dealer finally got it sorted out. This is a known problem - take it in.

They replaced the system a couple times and a few software updates to get it done. LR North America was a big help.

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem in my 2011. I have the vision package, and also have all the trailer hook ups. I had to take it to the dealer (under warranty) and I believe there was a TSB related to the problem. In any case I know I had to make two trips, whatever they did the first time didn't fully resolve it, but it's fixed now. Wish I could give you more info...if I find the repair invoice later I'll add some more details.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I brought my 2013 LR4 in to the dealer Saturday morning because the cameras were "flickering" and blue screens. I believe they put some sort of filter in. Everything looks ok for now, but I only drove it from the dealer to my house. I'll have to see how everything looks this upcoming week to see if I need to bring it back in.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so the "filter" LR installed is not working. I've already contacted my dealer again to see what the next step is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 87

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd think they would have figured them f*****g cameras out after 3 years of screwing them up? Mine (MY2013) work fine for now, knock on wood. Check out the couple of TSBs issued so far here: https://www.box.com/rrs/ - choose the "Electrical Distribution Control" folder, bulletins LTB000367 and LTB000430. I assume your dealer added equalizer(s) as per LTB000430, and obviously it didn't work. Plan B (replacing harness overlays, LTB000367) looks much more involving - look at the labor times for some of those, 3 hours to replace a silly harness! - and my concern with those types of TSBs is that they end up tearing up your car pretty good to get to all those overlays... Sucks, either way. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My sales guy said to schedule an appointment and to request a loaner. Sounds like they may have it longer than 3 hours. Let's see what happens.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back. They added more filters / amplifiers to the wiring harness. So far no blue screens during my testing. I do notice that after extreme light changes (leaving a parking structure / garage) and pulling out to a sunny area the cameras still flicker for 2-3 seconds. Is this normal or do I need to bring it back in for trip #3?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back. They added more filters / amplifiers to the wiring harness. So far no blue screens during my testing. I do notice that after extreme light changes (leaving a parking structure / garage) and pulling out to a sunny area the cameras still flicker for 2-3 seconds. Is this normal or do I need to bring it back in for trip #3?
Hey Spoonito,

I don't think that is normal. A friend of mine had that happen with his LR4 when he parked in a garage for work. He brought it back to the dealership and they fixed it.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of cameras, how long does your backup one stay on after you switch from Reverse to Neutral / Drive? Mine stays on for a good 2-3 seconds before turning off and freeing up the touchscreen, which is only mildly annoying if you want to, say, access the satnav or change radio station right after backing out of a parking spot.

Can't figure out the reason for the delay, on every other car with backup camera I have driven the image disappears from the screen at the very moment you exit Reverse. I have the surround cameras system (which transmit digital video, rather than analog from the backup cam of LR4s not fitted with Vision Assist.)

Last edited: