LR4 Camera System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of cameras, how long does your backup one stay on after you switch from Reverse to Neutral / Drive? Mine stays on for a good 2-3 seconds before turning off and freeing up the touchscreen, which is only mildly annoying if you want to, say, access the satnav or change radio station right after backing out of a parking spot.

Can't figure out the reason for the delay, on every other car with backup camera I have driven the image disappears from the screen at the very moment you exit Reverse. I have the surround cameras system (which transmit digital video, rather of analog for the backup cam of LR4s not fitted with Vision Assist.)
Hello umbertob,

That is normal function on the LR4. I had wondered about the same thing when I first got my LR4, but was told it stays on until you reach > 5mph, but not sure if it's that or a time frame (say a few seconds). It happens on all LR4s whether or not you have the vision assist or not.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Don't understand the usefulness of having video displayed on the touchscreen from the backup cam when you are no longer reversing, but it's good to know that's a "feature" and not a malfunction

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can hit the "nav" button or any of the other physical buttons to exit the backup camera or the park assist screens

My 13 doesnt show the rev camera when I put it in drive. Its fairly instant. I don't have surround cameras.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can hit the "nav" button or any of the other physical buttons to exit the backup camera or the park assist screens

My 13 doesnt show the rev camera when I put it in drive. Its fairly instant. I don't have surround cameras.
Hello mbw,

That's interesting.... It shows up on others 2010-2012 and of the few people I know with 2013. It is fairly quick, but still not instant. I wonder why they would even want to have a delay?

-David

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, thanks for the insight. I guess I'm calling the dealership again on Monday.

My reverse camera stays on for a couple seconds after I switch to drive. Always wondered if that can be adjusted through the computer.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, thanks for the insight. I guess I'm calling the dealership again on Monday.

My reverse camera stays on for a couple seconds after I switch to drive. Always wondered if that can be adjusted through the computer.
Let us know what they say, as I was told it is normal. My LR4 and all of the ones that I have driven (a 2010, 2011, and a 2012 loaner) all have a delay in the reverse camera when you switch to drive. The camera shuts off after a couple seconds of driving. I am most curious if it is actually once you reach 5mph or if they were just feeding me a line.

-David

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm calling for the flickering cameras (service #3 for that issue in less than a month), but I will ask about the delay for the reverse camera as well since I ll be on the phone with them anyway.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm calling for the flickering cameras (service #3 for that issue in less than a month), but I will ask about the delay for the reverse camera as well since I ll be on the phone with them anyway.
I hope they can resolve the issue!

I know that the LR4 has had a camera issue with the surround cameras since 2010 - but there are fixes hopefully. This is why I did not want the Vision Assist package, as I specifically do not want the cameras. Not really because of the issues, but more so because I don't like gadgets and want to keep this truck on the simple side since I will likely be keeping it long term.

Keep us posted on what you find out. Good luck man.

-David

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update I brought the Rover in for service and this is what they told me:

1. Back up camera staying on for 3-5 sec after shifting out of reverse is normal. The way it was explained was that they didn't want the reverse camera turning on and off constantly if you are trying to make fine adjustments to your parking i.e. reversing then moving forward then reversing again right away.

2. They didn't say it was normal that the camera flickers, however they said there wasn't anything wrong with it either. Something to do with the CMOS chip in the cameras trying to adjust from light to dark causing the flickering, and that most people do not drive with the cameras on other than for offroading, and me not using them as intended. But to me, wouldn't using them to get into a tight parking structure be a normal use? That's the main reason I got them, with offroading as the 2nd reason.

I'm going to call another dealer and see if they say the same thing about the flickering.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with the statement in issue #1

I've had that issue in the past, going from R to D to R to D, trying to park (not that I'm terrible at tight parking, as I received my ******* jacks license 2 weeks ago), but now that you mention this I found it annoying for the cam to turn on, turn off, and turn on, for 'another brand', which in that instance make it annoying and utterly useless.

I'd say +1 to LR for this function.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA