LR4 Towing report... and my new toy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of fuel... I really try not to care much. If you think the LR4 uses fuel, then you don't want to own a big power boat. This Sea Ray (luckily) has the 5.7 liter small block V8 in it. 57 gallon fuel tank. My Lake Rover will use fuel faster than my Land Rover.

I did see a lot of boats (slightly older ones and large ones) that had the big block engines in them. 6+ liter beasts that only put out a bit more power... but I knew to stay away from a big block. No need to burn that much fuel.

The 350 mag should do great. Even with quite a load it goes about 50 mph, which is faster than I will need. She cruses at 35 with ease, and has trim tabs if I want to slow way down for pulling a tube or something. (i can stay up on plane at lower speed)

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mbw- How was your rear visibility in the side mirrors? Maybe not so much a problem for seeing past the 240? We have an '09 270 SLX with a 9' beam... May or may not pick up a trailer for it in the near future. She's a beast, and it would weigh in at around 7,000-7,500lbs (boat, trailer, fuel, crap, etc), which would come pretty close to the max towing capacity. Not too worried about that, as I think the LR4 would be up to the challenge. A bit worried about rear visibility though. I haven't found any aftermarket side mirror solutions. Have you come across anything? BTW, nice boat :biggrin:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mbw- How was your rear visibility in the side mirrors? Maybe not so much a problem for seeing past the 240? We have an '09 270 SLX with a 9' beam... May or may not pick up a trailer for it in the near future. She's a beast, and it would weigh in at around 7,000-7,500lbs (boat, trailer, fuel, crap, etc), which would come pretty close to the max towing capacity. Not too worried about that, as I think the LR4 would be up to the challenge. A bit worried about rear visibility though. I haven't found any aftermarket side mirror solutions. Have you come across anything? BTW, nice boat :biggrin:

A 270 SLX.. NICE!! That is basically a larger newer version of ours right? (they used to call SLX 'select')

Our 240 is a 8'6" beam. Would you get a 9' wide trailer or would it just be a standard 8'6" tandem?

I can see the wheels of the trailer, but I can't see past it. I was thinking out just getting some mirror extensions. They are not that elegant but it might work. The LR4 is fairly narrow, unlike most full size pickups with the wide mirrors.

I think you could tow 7500lbs, I think it could handle it, but obviously would have to take a lot of precautions. I have a new 2014 trailer and the brakes on it are pretty amazing. It still takes a lot to stop it though.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an update, here is the full rig.

IMG_20131103_114231_zps511501a1.jpg

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 270 SLX.. NICE!! That is basically a larger newer version of ours right? (they used to call SLX 'select')

Our 240 is a 8'6" beam. Would you get a 9' wide trailer or would it just be a standard 8'6" tandem?

I can see the wheels of the trailer, but I can't see past it. I was thinking out just getting some mirror extensions. They are not that elegant but it might work. The LR4 is fairly narrow, unlike most full size pickups with the wide mirrors.

I think you could tow 7500lbs, I think it could handle it, but obviously would have to take a lot of precautions. I have a new 2014 trailer and the brakes on it are pretty amazing. It still takes a lot to stop it though.

Here she is... Yes, a slightly larger version of your 240. LOA is 28'6". Would probably go for a 28-30' Magic Tilt (or similar) triple axle trailer. I would have to get the towing accessories (wiring, receiver, etc). for my rig as well. Did you have to do that, or did yours come with everything?

I've towed heavy boats before with my '07 Tahoe, and you're right about the width of the LR4. I never had a visibility problem with the Tahoe since it's a wider truck with wider mirrors (same as a Silverado, Sierra, etc). When you say mirror extensions, do you mean the generic clip-on ones? I wonder why LR doesn't offer any tow mirror options like some of the bigger rigs do. With our beefy tires and off-road look, I think tow mirrors would look really nice.

Attachments

• DSC02641.jpg
    DSC02641.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 27

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here she is... Yes, a slightly larger version of your 240. LOA is 28'6". Would probably go for a 28-30' Magic Tilt (or similar) triple axle trailer. I would have to get the towing accessories (wiring, receiver, etc). for my rig as well. Did you have to do that, or did yours come with everything?

I've towed heavy boats before with my '07 Tahoe, and you're right about the width of the LR4. I never had a visibility problem with the Tahoe since it's a wider truck with wider mirrors (same as a Silverado, Sierra, etc). When you say mirror extensions, do you mean the generic clip-on ones? I wonder why LR doesn't offer any tow mirror options like some of the bigger rigs do. With our beefy tires and off-road look, I think tow mirrors would look really nice.

Ya, our boat is a 240, but because it was before they integrated the swim platforms, they could get away with that. It really should be called a 260 or 270 because of the swim platform. Its about 27' long.

For the mirrors, i was thinking something like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Extender-Trailer-Ratchet-Universal/dp/B005QEMU62
51EfM%2BAEAzL._SX425_.jpg

I have not ordered them yet, but I might try something like that.

I was going to install the tow electrics myself, but the dealer offered to do it as part of my purchase deal, so I let them. Such a rip off that they charge $100 to hook it up to a computer to enable tow features (yes I know I can spend $500 and get a nifty tool to do it).

I can't wait for it to warm up so I can get the boat out. Im looking to get a Garmin 741xs chartplotter with the g2 vision cards and then a chirp sonar transducer. I've heard some awesome things about the new chirp stuff.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, our boat is a 240, but because it was before they integrated the swim platforms, they could get away with that. It really should be called a 260 or 270 because of the swim platform. Its about 27' long.

For the mirrors, i was thinking something like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Extender-Trailer-Ratchet-Universal/dp/B005QEMU62
51EfM%2BAEAzL._SX425_.jpg

I have not ordered them yet, but I might try something like that.

I was going to install the tow electrics myself, but the dealer offered to do it as part of my purchase deal, so I let them. Such a rip off that they charge $100 to hook it up to a computer to enable tow features (yes I know I can spend $500 and get a nifty tool to do it).

I can't wait for it to warm up so I can get the boat out. Im looking to get a Garmin 741xs chartplotter with the g2 vision cards and then a chirp sonar transducer. I've heard some awesome things about the new chirp stuff.

Can't go wrong with Garmin. I actually just downloaded the Navionics app to my iPhone and it's AWESOME. The boat was just shipped here to FL from MA for the winter, so I've been taking my time learning the area. I always have the paper charts in front of me, the integrated Northstar GPS, as well as the Navionics running on my phone. I'll PM you my email address.. Shoot me an email.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the previously mentioned mirror add-ons? Looking for a solution, need to tow my boat 200 miles this weekend.

I too have a hydraulic surge brake setup on my trailer (load-rite). Works great. Tricked me for a while as I installed a brake controller and I couldn't figure out for a day or so why it was saying no trailer was attached... ha.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is a boat competition, then I submit the following:

:tongue:

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 31