Got wheels! Need tires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got Expat93's wheels! Now I need tires...

You may be able to guess (correctly) that these are Expat93's wheels. And, yep, that's his trailer hitch sitting on top. All nicely stacked in my garage. Thanks, Expat!

Now I need to decide which tires to put on these wheels. I don't want to push the limits like some of you have. That is, after all, part of why I got the Compomotives. These wheels/tires will be pretty much only for off road. I'll put Michelin Latitude snow tires on in the winter. And I'll using my factory 19" Contis for around town and long, freeway road trips.

Do you think I can find any tire suggestions on this forum? :big grin:

For my day with Bill Burke this coming Sunday I'll just have the 19"/Contis on as I need to immediately leave for a long road trip. The next opportunity to go "off road" will be with a LR group event on July 20th. So I'd like to have them all set by then.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be like a special sticker that you can get if you have stuff on your LR4 from a forum member. I have his old voyager rack and ladder.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I still have my LR4 in the future I think I have decided on the Toyo AT2's. Seeing them in person they looked new with 40K miles on them and it was on a guy truck who drives 150 miles a day for work. Said they were amazingly quite on the road/highway. Plus, he didn't slice a tire off-road where we went.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the tires now? Before my trip?

If I still have my LR4 in the future I think I have decided on the Toyo AT2's. Seeing them in person they looked new with 40K miles on them and it was on a guy truck who drives 150 miles a day for work. Said they were amazingly quite on the road/highway. Plus, he didn't slice a tire off-road where we went.

So now you have me thinking that maybe I should go ahead and get some on before my trip. It would make my Bill Burke experience more valuable. But the first 5K miles would be mostly freeway.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now you have me thinking that maybe I should go ahead and get some on before my trip. It would make my Bill Burke experience more valuable. But the first 5K miles would be mostly freeway.

I don't know where Bill will be taking you but no one else sliced a tire on the trail but me and I still don't have any idea which rock was the rock I hit to slice a tire. When looking over the line before approaching I didn't remember seeing any rock that worried me about injuring a tire. So, who knows. You have a full size spare.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I have heard great things about the Toyo AT2s and certainly considered them when I was looking around for tires. They have an amazing lifespan. What size are you considering - I assume the 255/55R18? As you know, I went with the BFG A/T KOs and absolutely love them, but I specifically wanted them for the E load rating and I have had great luck with them in the past. I actually think the Toyos are better in mud, as the BFGs are not, but I think either option would be a great choice.

I am curious to see what you decide. Either way, your truck will look great and be extremely capable on and off the road.

Regards, David

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I have heard great things about the Toyo AT2s and certainly considered them when I was looking around for tires. They have an amazing lifespan. What size are you considering - I assume the 255/55R18? As you know, I went with the BFG A/T KOs and absolutely love them, but I specifically wanted them for the E load rating and I have had great luck with them in the past. I actually think the Toyos are better in mud, as the BFGs are not, but I think either option would be a great choice.

I am curious to see what you decide. Either way, your truck will look great and be extremely capable on and off the road.

Regards, David

I would think David meant the 265/65/18 tire and not 255/55/18. Personally I have been looking at the 275/65/18 as it has the LT rating and is 32".

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think David meant the 265/65/18 tire and not 255/55/18. Personally I have been looking at the 275/65/18 as it has the LT rating and is 32".

Thanks. I was about to ask David. My 19"ers are 255/55 and I certainly want to get a bit more rubber. I don't want to have any rubbing issues but I would think I would be able to go up in both diameter and width over what I have on the 19s.

Would a 265/65 avoid rubbing? I expect it will give me somewhat more grip and somewhat more rubber between the wheel and the road.

The rest is also about getting a strong sidewall and maybe somewhat better tread, right?

Comfort and low noise on the highway is a plus if I can also get that. Durability is important but not as much as the other things. I don't expect any of these are soft, "performance" tires.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was about to ask David. My 19"ers are 255/55 and I certainly want to get a bit more rubber. I don't want to have any rubbing issues but I would think I would be able to go up in both diameter and width over what I have on the 19s.

Would a 265/65 avoid rubbing? I expect it will give me somewhat more grip and somewhat more rubber between the wheel and the road.

The rest is also about getting a strong sidewall and maybe somewhat better tread, right?

Comfort and low noise on the highway is a plus if I can also get that. Durability is important but not as much as the other things. I don't expect any of these are soft, "performance" tires.

Yea, he meant 265/65. And yes it sounds like most people don't have any rubbing issues with that size.

If you want a stronger sidewall you want an LT tire. That's why I recommended the 275/65/18 in the AT2. The guy who had the AT2's again said they were dead silent on his daily commutes. They were a good looking tire.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, he meant 265/65. And yes it sounds like most people don't have any rubbing issues with that size.

If you want a stronger sidewall you want an LT tire. That's why I recommended the 275/65/18 in the AT2. The guy who had the AT2's again said they were dead silent on his daily commutes. They were a good looking tire.
Thanks for jumping in - yep, I meant 265/65R18. I accidently hit too many 5's.

You won't have any rubbing at the 265/65R18 size and will not need to run lifted - they should be just fine.

If I was going with the Toyos, I'd go 275/65R18, as I want the LT tire.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV