2014 LR4: Biggest POS Ever Owned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btglr4

Reaction score
Just want to inform people to stay far away from this car. I've owned many luxury line SUVs before, and by far this is the worst and biggest piece of crap ever.

You may ask why... Well, I'm writing from the side of the road waiting for road side assistance because the car decided to completely shut off while driving at 30mph and throw itself into park. Car is completely dead now and will not start. I've owned the car for less than 2 months and this will be the 3rd time being brought in for service. The first time was 2 hrs after pick up because the breaks were grinding. The second time was because of a charging system failure light that Land Rover chalked up to not being a real issue, but just a faulty error code they've seen in the new ranges that there's no fix for at the moment. Today was an extremely dangerous situation to have a vehicle completely die at 30mph and throw itself into park. Getting a lawyer and going for the lemon law...this thing is a POS

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda presumptuous to say the model/line is a POS. Maybe you have a lemon. It happens in every manufacturer/car.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda presumptuous to say the model/line is a POS. Maybe you have a lemon. It happens in every manufacturer/car.

Last year I saw a couple of similar postings on the Acura MDX forums for the new 2014 MDX's. A couple of people pursuing lemon law relief, etc. I had expected that Honda Corp would not have these issues but they did.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question is, how can LR4 throw itself into transmission' "Park" mode? Thats extremely dangerous! Did the car switch to "PARK" transmission mode did the the Parking Brakes come on?

If it is the transmission' Park mode, is it even possible? What year is it? I could see that potentially happening (hopefully it does not happen with anyone) with the shifter knob as it is an electronic switch, but could it happen with the gear shifter lever?

Last edited:

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question is, how can LR4 throw itself into transmission' "Park" mode? Thats extremely dangerous! Did the car switch to "PARK" transmission mode did the the Parking Brakes come on?

If it is the transmission' Park mode, is it even possible? What year is it? I could see that potentially happening (hopefully it does not happen with anyone) with the shifter knob as it is an electronic switch, but could it happen with the gear shifter lever?

Subject reads 2014 LR4.
There was a thread a while back about someone else having their LR4 (forget the year) turn off while driving - didn't mention transmission shifting to park though. Interesting, awaiting an update from the OP since it LR4 is probably at the dealer by now.

btglr4

Reaction score
So update... Service manager thought I was crazy and reluctantly took it for a drive. Luckily the car did the same exact thing before he was even able to leave the lot, and he was blown away at what happened. Still not sure what it is, but will keep us posted. At least the problem was replicated right away and they are taking it very seriously.

I get not slamming a brand or a car right away, but put yourself in my shoes and think to yourself of your wife driving with your kids in the car and this happened.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI - here's the other thread I was referring to, another 2014 LR4 had it's electrical system turn off (this time allegedly going ~40 mph). No updates from OP, perhaps wanting to remain anonymous on the board as they're likely dealing with LR over the issue.
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25630&highlight=shut

In the earlier case the failure was preempted by other electrical bugs (engine almost shutting off in driveway, power windows/mirrors not behaving correctly. And in today's case a charging system failure light.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subject reads 2014 LR4.
There was a thread a while back about someone else having their LR4 (forget the year) turn off while driving - didn't mention transmission shifting to park though. Interesting, awaiting an update from the OP since it LR4 is probably at the dealer by now.

Sorry, missed the year there on the subject :)

So the question is for MY13 and before, even though they have a physical gear shifter lever/stick, is it just a physical interface for the driver and not really a mechanical control of the transmission? Underneath the console is it still electronic shift like the MY14 shifter knob?

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MY14 goes into park automatically if you are not in park when you turn off the ignition and the LR isn't in motion. The gear selector knob also retracts back into the console. I bet the engine shut down because of some electrical issue and then the LR went into park and the knob retracted. It probably didn't go into park while the engine was running and the truck was moving.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut