MY14 - My truck turns off when...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Not as ominous as the title sounds. But my MY14 sometimes does the following:

• Always when I am stopped and the truck is in Neutral or Park.
    I undo the seat belt

Sometimes the car seems to think, "Oh, he undid his seat belt and is in Park or Neutral so surely he will turn off the engine next so I'll just do it for him."

But I don't always want the engine turned off.

Is this supposed to happen?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the MY14's put themselves in park and shut down a lot. Something tells me they don't want to be cars.

Leave the poor things alone.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a '14 Evoque loaner that would do this as well.
I assumed that it was so smart it knew when I had reached my destination ;)
Kinda annoying when you need to maneuver to park in a tight spot.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this as well. I at first thought it really just knew when it was at home but then I picked up on the process of getting out of the vehicle and realized it was when I put the vehicle in park, pushed hard enough on the brakes to engage the start/stop feature and then disconnected my seat belt that made it do this.

I kind of like it. Means less I have to do.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this feature occur with the Start & Stop feature disabled?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this feature occur with the Start & Stop feature disabled?

I doubt it as it will only do it for me when I push the brake pedal hard enough to make the vehicle go into start/stop mode. If the vehicle is still running it won't do it.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I like it - though it makes me even more lazy. I travel a lot on business and I can see me getting out of a rental car and not turning the engine off! ;-) It's bad enough that I have to turn a key when I get in a rental.

I was just curious because I hadn't decoded when it works and when it doesn't. I just had it happen when I had no pressure on the brake pedal. But maybe I had pressed it enough to turn on the ECO-off function.

In any case, she is 1 mile shy of 8K today. I for her 8K birthday I'm taking her out this afternoon for new shoes and real (not temp) plates. I figured after 8K she deserved them.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I like it - though it makes me even more lazy. I travel a lot on business and I can see me getting out of a rental car and not turning the engine off! ;-) It's bad enough that I have to turn a key when I get in a rental.

I was just curious because I hadn't decoded when it works and when it doesn't. I just had it happen when I had no pressure on the brake pedal. But maybe I had pressed it enough to turn on the ECO-off function.

In any case, she is 1 mile shy of 8K today. I for her 8K birthday I'm taking her out this afternoon for new shoes and real (not temp) plates. I figured after 8K she deserved them.

Yea, you really have to push to that threshold to engage the eco shut-off for it to happen. Otherwise it will just sit there and run.

I know how you feel. It's like having comfort access. Now that I have had it it is a must for every vehicle! That stupid LR2 loaner I had didn't have it and I looked like a ***** every time I would walk up to the vehicle and yank on the handle and nothing would happen! :argh:

Mine just hit 12K miles. Sad day, and sad even more is that there would be more miles if it wouldn't have been in the shop!!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in a 2014 Evoque loaner now, my LR4 is back at the dealer for an ongoing issue with my RSE. The Evoque does the same thing. I guess if you unlatch your seatbelt before stopping and putting it in Park or Neutral it shouldn't turn off the engine, right? Kinda disconcerting if you come from a "regular" car. It turns off the engine as I park and remove the belt, so I regularly turn it back on with the "Engine Start" button when I really mean to turn it off, LOL. Habits die hard. Also, the Evoque automatically engages the park brake when I turn the knob to Park. Don't like that, I like to use the EPB sparingly in these cars. Does the 2014 LR4 also do that by default? Just curious.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72