Paddle shifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landroverer4

Reaction score
Hey! I'm new to this and wanted to know if it's possible to add paddle shifters to the LR4's steering wheel from the dealer.. I was looking through the accessory book and it says you can add them but I don't know if it's only a MY2014 thing. Thanks in advance

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to add them on my '12. It would make off road downshifts so much easier without pulling away from the wheel. Same when towing.

I know some of the guys on disco 3 that posted on have done so. I can see the paddle shift entry on the CCF when using GAP. Big question is whether the wiring is there.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to see if it's possible as well.
I like their practicality.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to add them on my '12. It would make off road downshifts so much easier without pulling away from the wheel. Same when towing.

I know some of the guys on disco 3 that posted on have done so. I can see the paddle shift entry on the CCF when using GAP. Big question is whether the wiring is there.

My personal experience with them doing off road is that they are a PITA. The reason is that they are built into the steering wheel, not the steering column. So as you turn the wheel they move. Since you are watching the road/trail/rocks/trees you don't know where the paddle you need is when you need it. And, unlike on F1 race tracks, it is common when off road for the wheel to go through 1 or 2 rotations doing a tight turn. Finally, I prefer to reset my hands to the 9/3 o'clock or, in heavier stuff, the 10/2 position. But that can be nowhere near the paddle I need. Had they built them into the steering column so they were always in the 9/3 position that would work for me - right hand to shift up, left hand to shift down. But they are rarely there.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal experience with them doing off road is that they are a PITA. The reason is that they are built into the steering wheel, not the steering column. So as you turn the wheel they move. Since you are watching the road/trail/rocks/trees you don't know where the paddle you need is when you need it. And, unlike on F1 race tracks, it is common when off road for the wheel to go through 1 or 2 rotations doing a tight turn. Finally, I prefer to reset my hands to the 9/3 o'clock or, in heavier stuff, the 10/2 position. But that can be nowhere near the paddle I need. Had they built them into the steering column so they were always in the 9/3 position that would work for me - right hand to shift up, left hand to shift down. But they are rarely there.

Thats one of the biggest turn off for me among other things.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent point Dan. Kinda like the horn buttons, when you really need to press them in an emergency you can't friggin' find them.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Umberto - the horn buttons are very annoying.

In addition, I find that while driving off road I tend to hit the heated steering wheel button by accident. I am very happy I don't have paddle shifters.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition, I find that while driving off road I tend to hit the heated steering wheel button by accident. I am very happy I don't have paddle shifters.

Ha ha. I do the same. I find myself thinking, "Wow, this must be a tough stretch as my jands are getting sweaty and heating up the steering wheel." Then I realize what I've done.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tough crowd. I still think the benefits outweigh the design disfunction. I'm pursuing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV