New member - considering LR4 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hayasa

Reaction score
Hello all -

Couple of questions as I'm very new to the LR world being mostly a German car fan for most of my life. Need a bigger car for a variety of reasons - off road adventures, hauling stuff, good towing abilities, etc., and was considering a variety of options. Was really thinking an old MB G-Wagon was in my future but I just can't deal with all the old technology in those old beasts. Don't think I am an American pick-up kind of guy either.

A few questions about the 2014 LR4 HSE before I make a stop over my local dealer and get them all spun up:

1. Is there some sort of run on the cars? Meaning, if I wanted to custom order one, how long does it take before I can take her home?

2. Is it true that the 2015s won't be released until the end of the year? Most other brands are now putting out 2015 from the factories.

3. Regarding towing, is the towing package on the HSE included? I didn't see it as an option or accessory on the build-your-car part of the website.

4. Also, being new to towing in general, I'm confused about the ratings and requirements. I just want to tow a rally car to and from events in an open trailer, probably rented from a local Uhaul place. Not sure if they have proper braked trailers, though, that would match the LR4's requirements.

5. Considering that I want to do some serious off-roading, I was thinking of adding the winch package. Can this be added later or would it be best to have it put on at the factory? Different front fascia?

6. And finally (for now at least), dumb question: are the side vents on the LR4 functional or cosmetic only. If so, what are they actually venting?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. If you order one that's not on the dealer's lot now you may still get a 2014, but it's a crapshoot this time of the year. Delivery times vary, considering we are approaching the summer holiday break in the UK it may take longer than usual for your car to be built (LR normally retools for the new model year after the summer break.) Ask your dealer, although they turn out to be right only about 50% of the times. :smile:

2. It depends on changes to the existing model year and current stock around the world. I haven't heard of a manufacturing delay of 2015s as far as the LR4 is concerned (that's not the case with other models), as inventory of 2014s seems to be fairly slim and the only change of note is the addition of the InControl interface to the infotainment system. Still, new Land Rover model years usually start arriving kind of late compared to other brands, August to October on average.

3. The car has got the provisions in place and you can easily do it yourself, but the tow package is a dealer installed option.

4. I'll let the knowledgeable folks in the group who tow regularly chime in on this one. I remember towing capacity is 7700 lbs with braked trailers, so you should have no problems.

5. The winch package is a dealer installed accessory, won't be installed at the factory whether you order it with one or not. There are better and cheaper alternatives in the aftermarket - lots of owners here will chime in - but the dealer installed winch is good as well, although very expensive.

6. On petrol engines (SCV6 and the older NAV8) both air intakes are functional, you'll have two air filters to replace down the road. :wink: On diesel models (not available in North America) I believe only one air intake is functional, the other one is cosmetic.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do decide you want a winch, make sure and search around, we have some aftermarket options that might work for you also. The factory setup is fine, but does stick out from the front limiting the approach angle a bit more than some other options. The winch tray is just sticking out in front of the bumper.

hayasa

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses! I watched your video on oil changes, too. Very informative.

Regarding the side vents, I never suspected they were air intakes. Very cool!

hayasa

Reaction score
If you do decide you want a winch, make sure and search around, we have some aftermarket options that might work for you also. The factory setup is fine, but does stick out from the front limiting the approach angle a bit more than some other options. The winch tray is just sticking out in front of the bumper.

Interesting about the winch - that will be further down the road (no pun intended), but good to know there are cheaper, better fitting, and better looking (or hidden) aftermarket options. Just didn't want to run into problems if adding the winch would require a new bumper or something.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the trailer braking, I had the tow package installed by the dealer before I received it. It was really just the electronics and the braking. The receiver is a separately-sold chunk of metal that slides/clips into spot on the frame. Works well when you want to remove it so it won't get banged up going off road. But that chunk of metal lists at over $600! So I was able to get a lightly used one from a former forum member and you can get them on eBay for $200.

As for the trailer braking system what they installed on my 2014 model was not a Land Rover product but an aftermarket product. You may or may not need braking. Depends on the weight. I have not towed with it yet. Max tow weight is in fact 7700. If it is simply a rally car you may not be as concerned about dry weight vs loaded weight. But I wouldn't want to push the 7700 where I am (lots of long, steep, mountain passes.)

Regarding the winch I am sure opinions will vary. I am new to LR and to going off road so I wasn't sure what I might need. I spent a fair bit of time in a 4x4 shop yesterday (mostly Jeep people) and talked at length with a guy who has done heavy off road for 30 years. I told him we would do "light" off roading and he talked me out of a winch. He talked about how over the years he and his Jeeping buddies had loaded so much stuff and weight on their Jeeps that it was dragging on the engines to go up steep climbs. He has always had one but has only used it a couple of times. He said that most often they are used to pull someone else out of trouble. ;-) And he convinced me to go to a good hardware or farm supply store to get some chain and a "come along". He also talked me out of a high-lift jack and advised me to go with groups when doing more difficult trails as in that case there will always be someone with that gear. He said that over time I'll learn what I really need/prefer. Sage advice.

As for the MY15, it appears they come standard with running boards. Likely a PITA if you are going to go off roading. I don't know if you can order them without.

It is very unlikely there are MY14's on the lots with Heavy Duty packages (though there is one in Denver that has been on their lot for a couple of months now. Fuji White. Fitted with the black pack - I think - and a $3K offroad rack. Listed for around $77. I guess they had it sold but when the woman brought it home for her husband it didn't fit in the garage or he didn't like it or something. Black interior.

Nearly all the units sent to dealers have been without the Heavy Duty package and therefore don't have a dual transfer case (4L), Rock Crawl mode or a full size spare. This was a major reason I ordered one.

Another thing to watch out for is the wheels. 19" are standard. I could have purchased a loaded MY14 off the lot with Heavy Duty but $3K of that money would have been for 20" wheels. That is the opposite of what you want to do if you are going off road - though I saw someone do it this weekend.

I ordered a MY14 the end of January. Picked it up the end of May. It drove me nuts waiting for it but the folks on this forum kept sane and kept me from doing something stupid and bailing for a Land Cruiser - which would have been a regrettable decision as I love the LR4 and, thus far, have had not problems in the first 8K miles.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Is there some sort of run on the cars? Meaning, if I wanted to custom order one, how long does it take before I can take her home?

I had to get my MY14 order finalized by end of May for an Aug 30th delivery date.

2. Is it true that the 2015s won't be released until the end of the year? Most other brands are now putting out 2015 from the factories.

Have read on other forums that the LR factory retools for new MYs from July/August.
If this is true it's likely that I'll be getting part of the last batch of MY14s.
And possibly anything ordered now could be an MY15 (and take longer to build give the factory retooling).

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running boards for MY15 in the UK only.

Scratch that. Corrected by Umberto.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, side steps will be standard for all LR4 trims in the US as well in 2015:

http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-us/land-rover/news/2014/06/lr_2015_lr4/?&locus=3

Perhaps their removal will be a "NCO" if you factory order it that way. Should be easy enough to remove them though, all you'll be left with are some funky looking cutouts on the lower end of the door sill trims where the running board brackets used to be (invisible when the doors are shut.)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV