Lifted LR3 ride/handling questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyrover

Reaction score
So those of you out there running lifted LR3's full time how is the ride/handling of the vehicle. Do you notice any difference in how it handles driving at highway speeds? Any difference in gas mileage? I know after I lifted our DII it didn't handle as well going down the highway. Around town it was fine.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only run the lift when I have bigger tires on. That's about half the year. I can say that it doesn't handle quite as well. It's not bad, it's just not as good. I tend to get used to it, and think it's good...and then when I switch back to my stock-sized tires I realize how much of a hit it takes. ...but those observations are more about running 32" MT/Rs than running the lift, because when I'm on the road I run standard height even with the larger tires.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wyrover:

I get this question all the time. I can tell you that many users have commented on how much they like the ride and performance with the 2.5" lift. Some even prefer it over the stock mode. Recent forum comments from Johnson Rod users:
"Have been driving like this for almost a year now and all is well, and the ride is unbelievably smooth"
"My passengers always expect the LR4 to ride like a Conestoga wagon based on the lift and tires, but it retains that amazing Land Rover air suspension ride quality, even better than the factory setup"
I have customers using Johnson Rods for over five years and they are still very happy. When they upgrade to a new model, they always reorder another set. Sad to say however that the new Range Rover L405 and Sport L494 can only get 1.5 inches and still maintain a smooth ride.
http://johnsonrods.com
ChrisShafer.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wyrover:

I get this question all the time. I can tell you that many users have commented on how much they like the ride and performance with the 2.5" lift. Some even prefer it over the stock mode. Recent forum comments from Johnson Rod users:
"Have been driving like this for almost a year now and all is well, and the ride is unbelievably smooth"
"My passengers always expect the LR4 to ride like a Conestoga wagon based on the lift and tires, but it retains that amazing Land Rover air suspension ride quality, even better than the factory setup"

Seriously, you are completely full of SHT. You're desire to sell stuff apparently is more important than ethical behavior. ... Update: I am partially giving you a strong handed jab, but really, it is a potentially serious issue and I think you should consider your part in the safety of others. Your posts are over the line into promoting/suggesting known reductions to safety.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So those of you out there running lifted LR3's full time how is the ride/handling of the vehicle. Do you notice any difference in how it handles driving at highway speeds? Any difference in gas mileage? I know after I lifted our DII it didn't handle as well going down the highway. Around town it was fine.

Your practical thinking is 100% true. The higher this suspension system is raised, the worse the handling will be at "highway speeds". It's basic physics.

Anyone who says otherwise is blinded by the need to feel cool by looking cool, or to get your $.

Raising the vehicle has it's merits, rolling that high all the time is not one of them.

I really wish rod-man would just explain how you can switch out the rod-length for trail use and back to normal/safe ride height the rest of the time.

His product is nice, but it should be combined with sensible use.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest
The fact that lifting your vehicle raises the center of gravity is obvious to everyone. You frequently see trucks and jeeps raised 4", 6" and even 8" inches. Lifting your LR3 2.5 inches is certainly reasonable compared to what is out there. To suggest its reckless or that the handling is worse really not what people are experiencing. In fact, the Johnson Rod 2.5 inch lift has been used for six years and people have been very happy. Unless you have driven it that way you may not be aware of exactly how well it really does feel and drive in all conditions. So those comments from users and hundreds just like them are real. I don't think people are being insensible to lift their vehicle 2.5 inches. If you prefer to be a purist and not lift your Land Rover then that is fine, however that's your opinion and many disagree. That's what a forum is about and people like to see what I have to offer and I'm sure some appreciate your comments as well to not lift. Yes, some Johnson Rod users do change out at the trail and go back to stock afterwards. It only takes about 5 minutes to switch out after you have done it a few times. I would say however that about 90% use them full time. Here is a good example of how that extra 2.5 inches helps.
Picture374.jpg

Picture375.jpg
[/IMG]
http://johnsonrods.com

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Johnson, you are missing jwest's point. It is of course true that there are off-roading benefits to the lift. It may be true as well that some people prefer the lifted ride. ...but it's misleading to suggest that it doesn't affect the ride in a negative way, particularly at freeway speeds.

Furthermore, Jwest doesn't need to try it out and see how the lifted LR3 rides; his is lifted. He was one of the first to lift it, actually.

If the OP is concerned about highway handling but wants bigger tires: The optimum approach is to use the IIDTool and lift at the trailhead. Period. The rod-mod is a cheaper approach that is a lot more of a pain to change out.

bonz

Reaction score
Is it even appropriate for the person selling lift rods to respond to this kind of question?
The answers seem like nothing more than another sales pitch.

Anyway, I'm interested in the Johnson Rod product, but the over hype pitches are kind of a turn off.

Btw, is there a YouTube video or these things being swapped out ?

techniq808

Reaction score
I'm really new to having a lifted LR3, but without a doubt there are pros and cons. For me until the bump-stop space kit from proud rhino was introduced my lift rods sat in the box for almost a year. Even now I know my next purchase will be an IIDTool to run a slightly lower ride profile for road with a second profile for off road.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV