Key Fob Not Recognized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BushRover

Reaction score
Hey everyone my apologies for a potential re-post but my LR4 today left me stranded at a Starbucks this morning because the key fob was not recognized by the car so it had to be flatbedded back to the dealer. I know there were posts earlier but has anyone else had this problem lately with the later models '12 and on??

Everything I have read on this is bad news!

ricker

Reaction score
Did you try replacing the fob battery with the spare you carry in the glove box? I have received the "not recognized" message twice on my 2010 and after I replaced the fob battery everything was back to normal.

David

BushRover

Reaction score
No did not try that - as I wasn't near anywhere where I can buy a battery. The dealer has it now so will let them figure it out. Will post answer once I get one.

BushRover

Reaction score
Well finally got a call from the dealer and they said it is a known issue and that they were able to resolve it by doing a 'flash' on the board thus resulting in having to reprogram the keys. They said they don't know the exact cause but it could have been from a pinched wire! I am suppose to pick it up today and see what happens.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. This site is a fantastic place to post known issues.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually a low fob battery will cause this issue. Pinched wire? I read that this happened to some chap with a RR, pinched wire(s) and all sort of electrica issues... years ago... he posted his woes on YouTube to churn up a stir. I think it worked.

BushRover

Reaction score
Well got the car back and I spoke with the mechanic rather than the service rep and the mechanic said that he is seeing this more and in fact saw one last week with the same problem - so lets see how long this fix works until it happens again.
Another weird thing - when it was being towed on the flatbed the rear view mirror cover flew off - the service guy says he sees that a lot because they don't fasten it on tight enough from the factory so they had to get a new one for me and paint it - warranty covered.
So double check to see if your rear view mirror covers are tightly fastened!!

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear view mirror cover on our Discovery 4 flew off when my wife hit a column in a parking garage... Imagine my face when she got home with the cover in hand and said "This thing fell off the Discovery" I just popped it back in place and it has stayed put ever since

Jobaker4

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my '11 at about 5,000 miles. They flatbedded it back and did some update, since then I've never once had a problem. Hopefully yours will be the same way. Can't believe LR hasn't resolved this in the newer models!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA