uh oh!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ms.Marbles

Reaction score
so i came home yesterday, made to back into the driveway as usual and then a slight "pop", and no more gears. engine runs fine, i can put the gear shift through all the gears but i'm staying put. Had to flatbed it into my driveway, all of 20 feet, where i now scratch my head and wonder whether i broke the clutch, transfer case or what have you. any ideas out there?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
A pop could be many things from a drive shaft to a Transfer case to the linkage coming apart... hard to say without seeing the vehicle.

ms.Marbles

Reaction score
96 disco, 4.0i, manual.
It has been snowing here. Is it possible wheel spin caused this? I didn't go crazy or anything, but i did have some wheel spin once or twice...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put your t/case in High lock, start the engine and while in drive have someone look and see if one drive shaft is turning.
Most likely you have a failed diff or a hard break in the t/case.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broken flex plate in the transmission will do it. And it's not cheap :(
You may or may not have had a ticking sound that was hard to pinpoint before it snapped.
Mine did it with a normal slow acceleration. It was a P38 RR, but I think they are the same trans.

ms.Marbles

Reaction score
thanks for the input,
haven't had time yet to explore further but its looking grim.

ms.Marbles

Reaction score
i lifted up the rear right wheel and there is no movement. is that a sign the problem is not in the transfer case...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV