What Kind Of A Disco Is This?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j_jordan_a

Reaction score
Greetings! Well, I did it. I bought, according to the title, a 1995 Land Rover Discovery. It is my first Land / Range Rover. So far, it has been a blast to drive and it has some pretty cool little features.
At any rate, I started doing some reading about the various models and years. After looking inside the bonnet (I love calling it this!) the motor appears to be a 4.2 liter (from the 4.2 label on the top of the engine), but the stickers on the frame say it is a 3.9. The reading I did claimed that the "Land Rover" made the 3.9 all aluminum engine (from the the GM tooling) and the 4.2 was from "Range Rover".
So, my question is, what kind of Disco is this? Is it a 1995 Land Rover that had its engine swapped or did they actually make it with the 4.2 for a few years? I need to verify with a magnet, but the 4.2 does not looks like an all aluminum engine to me.
Any thoughts or explanations would be great appreciated! Thanks for the great forum...I have found some other good info on here already! :)

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALL, Rover V-8's made up thru the D2's are made from the Buick 215. The 4,3 in your truck was installed by a privious owner.

j_jordan_a

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Disco Mike. That is what I suspected. It seems like the "Rover V8" is/was a somewhat well used engine. I am hoping the 4.2 is a decent replacement. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA